• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 07:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 327
Total: 328

generator

Started by LizStreithorst, November 23, 2015, 08:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 23, 2015, 02:19:09 PM
It should be as good as RO.  I tried it with my pairs.  At first I thought that it was fine.  After many weeks I started to see a difference in my pairs.  I can't put my finger on it but something just didn't seem right...It should be good to use but I don't trust it.

it could be metal from the cores, plus anything in the air like smoke, candle smoke, room spray, and odors will influence the water....if it were run outside, it'd be closer to good distilled water, I'd guess.....but inside, even the smell of a good roast gets pulled through the coils...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I suspect that that Mug is right about it picking up metal from what the water is condensing on.
Either zinc or copper can cause problems at levels as low a fractional parts per billion (you need a special test to measure these levels which can cost $100 each). Copper of course in in brass and copper, which are probably not in the condensor but might be in the outflow fittings. Zinc is in galvanizing on lots of things. Many metals are mixes of a variety of different metals so there might be a problematic source anywhere.

We had a problem like this when I was running a zebrafish stock center and traced it back to some metal plumbing parts that dissolved copper and zinc into the water supply.

Water with low hardness levels (found in the condensed water) will be better at dissolving of metals.

Ron Sower

I love the knowledge base of our members..!!!    |^|
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I'm looking at this one now.  It runs on propane, too.  I like that.  I wouldn't have to worry about running out of fuel if it could be hooked up to the propane tank that runs gas to the house.  If that job would cost too much, it will run for 11 hrs on one of those little bottles.  What do you think about this one compared to the gasoline only one that you recommended earlier, Mug?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP4400EH-Hybrid-Portable-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Camping-RV-Generator-/400783291524?hash=item5d508bb484:g:4u0AAOSwgkRVSPoR
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 08, 2015, 07:37:41 AM
I'm looking at this one now.  It runs on propane, too.  I like that.  I wouldn't have to worry about running out of fuel if it could be hooked up to the propane tank that runs gas to the house.  If that job would cost too much, it will run for 11 hrs on one of those little bottles.  What do you think about this one compared to the gasoline only one that you recommended earlier, Mug?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-XP4400EH-Hybrid-Portable-Dual-Fuel-Propane-Gas-Camping-RV-Generator-/400783291524?hash=item5d508bb484:g:4u0AAOSwgkRVSPoR

Nice generator.....runs on both Propane and gas....if you get get it hooked up thru your propane line it would be great....and then never having to worry about old fuel sitting in the tank...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

BallAquatics

Nice generator Liz!  With the 240 outlet you can wire it into your breaker box to run your well pump and the like.  That's what I used to do here to keep Terri's oxygen equipment running.  I could run everything, (not at once), except the heating/ac wired in that way.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on December 08, 2015, 08:02:56 AM
Nice generator Liz!  With the 240 outlet you can wire it into your breaker box to run your well pump and the like.  That's what I used to do here to keep Terri's oxygen equipment running.  I could run everything, (not at once), except the heating/ac wired in that way.

Dennis

yup.......exactly.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

It was shipped yesterday and is already in Mississippi!  FedEx will deliver it tomorrow.  God knows how I'll get it out of Charlotte once I bring it home.  It weighs 158 lbs.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2015, 03:30:05 PM
It was shipped yesterday and is already in Mississippi!  FedEx will deliver it tomorrow.  God knows how I'll get it out of Charlotte once I bring it home.  It weighs 158 lbs.

..make a ramp with a board....slide 'er down easy...
Jon

LizStreithorst

I just walked out to the old barn and found a couple of 2X6X12's and brought them to the house.  I'm all excited!  We're supposed to have a big storm with dangerous winds Saturday or Sunday.  Wouldn't it be cool if the electric went out?  I'll put it under the carport for now.

Who knows this...The lp gas comes into the house from the opposite side than the carport and fish room.  The breaker box is in the laundry room right by the fish room.  It will be less expensive to hire a plumber to run a gas line to the carport than have the carpenter run electricity the up a wall, into the attic and down to the breaker box, right?   I think that my good carpenter can to the electricity part if it isn't terribly involved  I doubt that he'd do the gas.  Too much liability involved...Shoot, I wish he would answer his phone.  I don't expect he will until after Christmas or perhaps even until after New Years ::)  I can't even get my back up guy to answer.  I hope he's not back in the hospital with pneumonia.

Shoot...I'm being silly.  I've been without a generator for several years now.  It's not like this is an emergency.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on December 10, 2015, 04:11:34 PM
I just walked out to the old barn and found a couple of 2X6X12's and brought them to the house.  I'm all excited!  We're supposed to have a big storm with dangerous winds Saturday or Sunday.  Wouldn't it be cool if the electric went out?  I'll put it under the carport for now.

Who knows this...The lp gas comes into the house from the opposite side than the carport and fish room.  The breaker box is in the laundry room right by the fish room.  It will be less expensive to hire a plumber to run a gas line to the carport than have the carpenter run electricity the up a wall, into the attic and down to the breaker box, right?   I think that my good carpenter can to the electricity part if it isn't terribly involved  I doubt that he'd do the gas.  Too much liability involved...Shoot, I wish he would answer his phone.  I don't expect he will until after Christmas or perhaps even until after New Years ::)  I can't even get my back up guy to answer.  I hope he's not back in the hospital with pneumonia.

Shoot...I'm being silly.  I've been without a generator for several years now.  It's not like this is an emergency.

I'd be excited too....shoot I'd fire that puppy just to hear it run.... |^|
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst