• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 05:13:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 230
Total: 230

Music

Started by LizStreithorst, November 20, 2015, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Have you ever noticed that the more types of music you listen to the more genera you come to  like?  It takes a while sometimes. The more you listen the more you come to understand and the easier it gets.  I just heard something from the Middle East where they sing in moving notes rather that individual notes.  First time I have ever liked that sound.  I'm learning.  I don't think that I'll ever get the Asian music, but I have hope.  I just don't get the 5 note scale yet.  There is no hope for me ever liking the new ambient music.  There are people who get it but I will never be one of them.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Make sense to me.
There maybe something similar with trying different kinds of food. Try more, more easily like more.
May be the case with languages also. I worked with a guy from India who probably knew 30-40 languages (India has hundreds of little languages and many people there speak several languages). He picked up Spanish (in the LA area) in a few weeks.

I feel that in the sciences, the more you know, the easier it is to pick up on new fields. Of course there are a lot of shared concepts among different fields which may be the reason (less new stuff to learn because you already know a concept from a related field).

BallAquatics

I know computer programming languages are like that.  First couple can be pretty rough, but they start getting easier to pick up the more you work with.

I also believe that proper motivation plays a very big part too.  It's easier to learn or develop an appreciation for things you are interested in.  For example, my sister is always telling me she can't do this or that on the computer, but she learned how to text, send photos, and even video chat with the grand kids on her i-phone.....  motivation is very powerful indeed.  LOL

Dennis

Mugwump

Yes on all the above.....and it helps to have an inquisitive mind, you're always looking, and exploring.....'people watching' comes to mind, what people do and why, seemingly, are they doing it...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Quote from: Mugwump on November 21, 2015, 06:24:05 AM
Yes on all the above.....and it helps to have an inquisitive mind, you're always looking, and exploring.....'people watching' comes to mind, what people do and why, seemingly, are they doing it...

That's why, as much as I hate the whole flying experience, I enjoy sitting and people watching in the airport.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on November 21, 2015, 08:12:34 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on November 21, 2015, 06:24:05 AM

That's why, as much as I hate the whole flying experience, I enjoy sitting and people watching in the airport.

You betcha..... |^|..and some malls too...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson