• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 06:00:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 290
Total: 291

Albums in storage.....

Started by BallAquatics, November 19, 2015, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Mugwump

This should fit right in here...... w!w

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

That does fit very well!  While I don't have that on vinyl, I do have this one.....

https://youtu.be/9piiahsxV8U

Dennis

Mugwump

I've got em all on vinyl.....outstanding group....why no 'Music Hall of Fame' ?......and why isn't 'Yes' in there either  ???             
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on November 19, 2015, 12:24:57 PM
......and why isn't 'Yes' in there either  ???

I guess they just never floated my boat.....  in my 1000+ albums, no Yes, no Queen.  Bands similar... I do have Toto, and Styx  Just posting them as they run across the turntable.....

Right now I'm listening to Deutsche Grammophon's Beethoven Bicentennial Collection.  25 super high quality albums in deluxe anti-static sleeves.  I think I picked these up at a garage sale for next to nothing.  They don't look lke they have ever been played.  A quick scrub and they sound superb.  I'm back to the Technics turntable with a very nice Ortofon FF 15 XE MkII cartridge.

https://youtu.be/jD8a0AjySMA

Did you ever get that turntable of yours going?

Dennis

Mugwump

No, the thing was froze solid....apparently it just was sitting wherever the guy had it for way too long......it wouldn't budge...I tossed it..
Jon

BallAquatics

So what do you listen to all those albums on?  Do you have another turntable?

Dennis

Mugwump

Haven't listened to them in years....I'll find another turntable one of these days....last one was an old Garrard syncro type....had it for years and it played well...ran it threw a nice Pioneer amp, and a couple of Fischer XP10 speakers

almost like this one....

Jon

wsantia1

I've got some old albums and 45s in about 10 boxes in the garage. They are not in great shape since my wife played them to death. A lot of them are Jazz and R&B although I did see a few rock albums. There were even some 78s in there too. I bought a couple of cheap turntables to see if they were even playable and the couple of them that I tested were very scratchy but played without skipping. :-[ Don't know yet what to do with them but I am not going to give them away.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BallAquatics

What they play back like is determined by several factors.  Probably the biggest factor is what they were played with previously.  If played on a good quality turntable, one that will let you adjust the cartridge weight and tracking, the records themselves should be in good to excellent condition.  Second is what you will play them back on now.  Once again, better equipment means better sound reproduction.  Third, would be how clean the records are.  It's very easy to take a filthy garage sale record and make it shine with a soft bristle toothbrush and some dawn dishwashing liquid.

I was very fortunate to have an uncle that was into hi-fi when I was first starting out, and he got me to purchase a decent turntable that would not slowly destroy my albums with each playing.

As for washing them with dishwashing liquid, well that came some years later.  Like most folks, I used a Discwasher system, (I've still got it too!), that helped but never really got my albums clean.  It all started one day when I was trying to listen to an old Steppenwolf album that had seen better days.  I'd read about these fancy album washing machines they sell that uses brushes to clean and dry the album.  At any rate, I decided I couldn't really make this old album any worst so I took it over to the kitchen sink and got it all wet with some warm water.  I put the dish cloth over the divider between to the two sink basins and laid the record on that.  A couple of drops of Dawn and a good scrub with an old soft bristle toohbrush.  I rinsed both sides really good and patted the album dry with the dish towel.

When the album went back on the turntable, it just blew me away.  I was later to learn that the moisture of washing the album removes 99% of the static electricity and the noise associated with it.  The good scrub get rid of any mold and dust down in the grooves.  It's truly amazing.  As for damaging the albums, just consider that they used to use lots of vinyl for floor coverings.  It's a very tough material.  How tough, well I've been washing my albums like this since about 1998, and if anything they sound better every time I give them a good scrub.

Dennis

wsantia1

I heard about dishwashing liquid. I will try that before I play another LP. I would say that most of these albums haven't been on a turntable in 40 years.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.