• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:37:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 495
Total: 495

Blacks spawn

Started by Mugwump, February 04, 2013, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank The Plumber

You might see some velvets in there. Keep an eye out for them as they are hard to spot early . As they grow out you will see some nice clean DD with very little streaking. I kept around 100 of those to raise out. I have around 12 left that I am making a couple of pairs to keep. I ended up with 12 or so velvets in veil and super too. The line may be het for zebra as well. My zebras are coming from a male brother of yours that I crossed to a blue clown. The fins on that line are really nice. I put those fins into quite a few of my lines.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on March 07, 2013, 07:52:43 PM
You might see some velvets in there. Keep an eye out for them as they are hard to spot early . As they grow out you will see some nice clean DD with very little streaking. I kept around 100 of those to raise out. I have around 12 left that I am making a couple of pairs to keep. I ended up with 12 or so velvets in veil and super too. The line may be het for zebra as well. My zebras are coming from a male brother of yours that I crossed to a blue clown. The fins on that line are really nice. I put those fins into quite a few of my lines.

Yep, I spotted the velvets from some earlier spawns..they're in 'safe' keeping...LOL...I haven't seen the Zebra pop yet tho....the veils are gorgeous.....I'm snatching a few more Sunset veils for myself this time too.....Sunset Super veils are awesome....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

You will need to cross the velvet to a DD to get a good velvet. If you cross two velvets you get a lot of non pb blue blusher. Not so very special this gray fish it makes.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on March 07, 2013, 08:24:14 PM
You will need to cross the velvet to a DD to get a good velvet. If you cross two velvets you get a lot of non pb blue blusher. Not so very special this gray fish it makes.

Yep, on the velvets, and Blue blushers, good ones, I could sell out in minutes....dark fins, decent blush.....everyone loved them. I had a pair of Blue blushing pearslale, that the female would lay 1000+ eggs every spawn...every 9 days like clockwork....LOL....I sold the pair to a friend downstate Ottawa...he called me and said "how the F*&%$ do you shut her down"....LOLOLOLOLOL....that pair were like a machine spawners....and only maybe one or two bad eggs per spawn.....LOL...he sold her to some guy out in Nevada, or somwhere....last that I heard her spawns were getting bigger as she aged..not as often, but bigger spawns...what a sweetheart....I just didn't have enough room anymore for all the frick'n fry....LOL

I should add that she was as big as a pie plate....huge...the male was no slouch either...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on March 07, 2013, 08:33:32 PM
What's a velvet?

DD black blushing....gorgeous coal black angels, no underlining stripes.....

a 'Turq' is a single dose black blushing.....greenish gills and head area....
Jon

Frank The Plumber

I have been able to get some with actual red cheeks from clear gill plates. The fish has very little reflection to it. Little flat black primer. The double dark double blush with the red cheeks are super fragile genetically. One Brother sister cross away from total sterility and mutants. The genes are so fatally mixed. The only way to really have good success with them is to create them by making a cross and getting fry. It can be hit or miss on partner pairing. Some partnerships are good, some give all sliders, some you get foot ball shaped fish. Beautiful but frustrating. Worth the result though I think. They are there in these. Have fun.

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on March 08, 2013, 07:50:37 AM
I have been able to get some with actual red cheeks from clear gill plates. The fish has very little reflection to it. Little flat black primer. The double dark double blush with the red cheeks are super fragile genetically. One Brother sister cross away from total sterility and mutants. The genes are so fatally mixed. The only way to really have good success with them is to create them by making a cross and getting fry. It can be hit or miss on partner pairing. Some partnerships are good, some give all sliders, some you get foot ball shaped fish. Beautiful but frustrating. Worth the result though I think. They are there in these. Have fun.

Yep, black pairings are known to be deleterious....but on occasion you get a good pair and they're like 'gold'.....adding super veil to the mix doesn't exactly help any either, *sarcasm*.....I had an absolutely gorgeous pair of DD super veils that produced 10% viable fry, at best....but oh those fry....think wow factor.....
Jon

Frank The Plumber

I was going to try to add pearl into the velvets but I think the fish might become thermally unstable and spontaneously ignite. Snicker. :)

Mugwump

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on March 08, 2013, 12:09:55 PM
I was going to try to add pearl into the velvets but I think the fish might become thermally unstable and spontaneously ignite. Snicker. :)

Agreed, the pearl scale would make them totally unstable.....plus adding more of a chance for short/missing ventrals......
Jon

PaulineMi

The ones from a successful spawn sound beautiful.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Here's the black spawn fry...really doing well, and the Male released the Albino blue eyed fry....

Jon

greydragon

so whats the spawn looking like now?

Mugwump

Quote from: greydragon on March 10, 2013, 02:14:59 PM
so whats the spawn looking like now?

LOL...that was this morning.... ;D....
Jon

greydragon

cool i didnt look at the date sorry