• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 242
Total: 242

If you could relocate....

Started by Mugwump, November 02, 2015, 06:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

....to anywhere else in the US, where would you consider the best place to live...????????

...southern Colorado seems nice.....?...for us it would be somewhere not too hot/humid, and not to cold in winter.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

greydragon

i would go to Des Moines Iowa (back Home)

Mugwump

Quote from: greydragon on November 02, 2015, 09:51:17 AM
i would go to Des Moines Iowa (back Home)

Interesting...we've considered back down towards southern Indiana, where I was born....or even Kentucky ??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The only thing that will keep me from living exactly where I live now might be old age down the road.  If it ever comes to that I will sell and move to the town where I work.  It's like working at "Cheers".  A great place.   But if I wanted to live close in with everything right around the corner I'd have to find homes for the horses, make the dogs stay in a fenced yard, and give up the solitude I enjoy here.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 02, 2015, 09:59:21 AM
The only thing that will keep me from living exactly where I live now might be old age down the road.  If it ever comes to that I will sell and move to the town where I work.  It's like working at "Cheers".  A great place.   But if I wanted to live close in with everything right around the corner I'd have to find homes for the horses, make the dogs stay in a fenced yard, and give up the solitude I enjoy here.

If I lived on a place like yours, Liz......I'd never move.....I'd just hire someone to stop by and see if we were still breathing, cremate us if dead, and feed the fish......a hammock by the fire, joint in my shirt pocket, cup of coffee sitting on a log, cats and dogs, birds close by, computer opened on my lap checking in here......*poifect*  w!w
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I'd have a summer place in Tn and keep my FL home.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Barb

It's mighty nice here in New Bern NC Jon.  Look it up, folks from all over the US are moving here, especially retirees wanting to get away from hard winters and get near the ocean (30 mi).  It is a pretty, charming place, just the right amount of shopping, restaurants, entertainment, and lots of outdoor activities.  We love it here. 
Barb

LizStreithorst

But where I live, out in the sticks, I am able to do as I choose without rules.  In New Bern they have all these rules that you're forced to abide by.  If you have a storm you have to pick up all fallen branches and haul them to the curb in a small amount of time or the home association will kick you out.  I can either cut mine into fire wood or leave them to rot.  I don't think that I could live with such strict rules.  I plan to stick to where I am for as long as I can. 

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on November 02, 2015, 10:13:24 AM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 02, 2015, 09:59:21 AM

If I lived on a place like yours, Liz......I'd never move.....I'd just hire someone to stop by and see if we were still breathing, cremate us if dead, and feed the fish......a hammock by the fire, joint in my shirt pocket, cup of coffee sitting on a log, cats and dogs, birds close by, computer opened on my lap checking in here......*poifect*  w!w

That is my life.  It is indeed poifect.  I get the small amount of human contact I need right here on the forum and at work.   At work  I can run customers off with subtly (or not) if I don't like them  which it very rare.   Some, I'm able to be straight forward with them about what their dog needs and how often, and how much it will cost.  They are the best ones when they do as I say.  The lesser ones go elsewhere.  Others come in and give me a try and love me for the quality of my work.  They're good to but not as dependent upon me as the ones who stay with me when I tell them what their dog needs, and how often. and how much. I guess I'm a hard master, but I am the master of my domain so I can do as I choose. 

It is surely a glorious thing to be an empire of one...to be able to do as I choose.  Still, with my way of doing, it is remarkable that I have been more than able to keep my head above water (we need a "crazy" emoticon, Dennis, my friend).

Barb

Liz, that's just in the neighborhoods, in the city limits, who have HOA's.  There are plenty of nice houses where people can do as they please.  And lots of houses out in the country with lots of land.  You and Jon and Jan would find places to suit you.  Oops, that sounds kinky, sorry  8). Separate houses of course.
Barb

big b

I'd go somewhere where I could get a house with a concrete floor.

greydragon

where in TN is your summer home?

ghonk

Quote from: big b on November 02, 2015, 04:16:26 PM
I'd go somewhere where I could get a house with a concrete floor.

What do you have now,dirt. ;)

LizStreithorst

If you're a serious fish breeder a concrete slab is necessary.  We have floods sometimes :-[  People who just like to keep fish and are very tidy and attentive can have tanks in their houses.  I'll have a minor flood by overflowing tanks once every few weeks.  I had a huge one last week because I forgot to turn of a valve.  My fish must be in their own room on a concrete slab.  A house is a terrible thing to ruin.