• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 09:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,313
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 262
Total: 263

Am I Cute or What

Started by PaulineMi, January 31, 2013, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

If a fish can be cute I think this one fits that description

But this one is too..  :)

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Yes they are.....thanx, Pauline...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I know that most people prefer the fancy ones, but I love the subtle beauty of that first fish.  It will be a stunner when it develops it's full coloration.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Liz knowing you like that one, check this out. Not a nice clear picture, but the shape of this one is pretty nice.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

It's a very good fish.  All it's parts are smoothly blended, it has a good eye, and it's tail is perfectly centered and isn't too long.  Look at the difference in length of the base of the tail on this one and compare it to the PE.  It's a small thing, but contributes to the appearance of overall roundness.

PaulineMi

Yep, I see it now.  I will always see it now.  Lol.

Is the difference due to the Penang being a high body?

Barb

Definitely cute Pauline, the blues are my favorites.
Barb

PaulineMi

Thanks Barb.  That little one is always looking at me for food. It even nibbles at my hand when I'm trying to wipe down the sides and bottom of the tank! That little angle when it tilts its body like that is the cutest thing. Never had a fish affect me like that before. And I LOVE my angels.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 31, 2013, 04:29:22 PM
Yep, I see it now.  I will always see it now.  Lol.

Is the difference due to the Penang being a high body?

No, it's not that.  My best guess is that since most people DON'T see it it is not something that the importers request of their exporter.

I'll tell you another thing about the tail.  With most Discus the tail is not perfectly centered between the dorsal and ventral.  In your guy it is.  Discus should be well ballanced.  You should be able to draw a line from the center of the tail to the mouth, fold the fish over on that line and the top half should pretty much match the bottom half.

Barb

Gee Liz, you sure learned a lot and paid close attention in your judges classes at NADA.  I just learned something I didn't know in your above info for Pauline.  Thanks!
Barb

LizStreithorst

Mark at BIDKA pointed out the length of tail thing to me.  I asked for pics and once I saw it, I got it.  I figured the thing about the tail being centered myself.  I learned balance between the halves at NADA.  I paid attention and learned a lot but wasn't any good at it in front of all those people who had self confidence.

PaulineMi

Lots of good information Liz.  I had read about a discus being folded in half and if the halves match the discus is correctly balanced. And is the eye size/set correct if there'd be room for an additional eye above and another one below the existing eye of the fish?  I think I read that somewhere.

There's something about the rays at the front of the dorsal that I haven't figured out and I know nothing about the anal fin. What's the correct placement of the ventrals as they relate to the beginning of the anal fin and how should they line up with the dorsal fin in the folded in half fish?

When did you take the judges' classes?  Is there a story that goes with that?   ;D

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 31, 2013, 07:25:16 PM
Lots of good information Liz.  I had read about a discus being folded in half and if the halves match the discus is correctly balanced. And is the eye size/set correct if there'd be room for an additional eye above and another one below the existing eye of the fish?  I think I read that somewhere.

There's something about the rays at the front of the dorsal that I haven't figured out and I know nothing about the anal fin. What's the correct placement of the ventrals as they relate to the beginning of the anal fin and how should they line up with the dorsal fin in the folded in half fish?

When did you take the judges' classes?  Is there a story that goes with that?   ;D

I took the class at the NADA show last year in Dallas.  I lobbied for it and they passed it.  Another thing that I lobbied for and got was the Bred by Exhibitor award. 

I don't know the answers to all your questions.   I have a good eye, but I have a hard time translating what my eye knows into English.   I will do my best...

The eye should be small and red.  Near perfect quality eye size and color is most often seen in Pigeon Bloods.  The biggest problem that I've noticed with eye placement is not that it is too high or low, but that it is set too far forward.  I swear, sometimes it is set so far forward that if it were set any farther it would be coming out the front of the fish's face (jk).

The thing about the front of the dorsal might be about the hard rays not being well blended.  Sometimes the hard rays stick out beyond the fin tissue.  It gives a jagged appearance to the front of the fish.  Everything about the fish should be smooth and suggest roundness.

The only thing I can think of about the anal is that like the Dorsal it shouldn't have any sticky-outies and although by nature it has to start farther back than the dorsal, it should balance the dorsal as best it can in height.  Symmetry is everything.

All I can tell you about ventrals is that IMO they should long for the size and age of the fish, they should taper smoothly to a point, and follow the contour of the fish's body.  The first 2 things give elegance to the fish, the last reinforces the perception of roundness.  I don't know about their placement.  I've never noticed.  I'll start noticing and get back to you when I figure it out.

PaulineMi

Awesome Liz.  Thanks for taking the time to write all that.

I used to show dogs. Winning from the bred by exhibitor classes can be the epitome of something to be proud of.  Great that you could contribute to getting that added especially when there's so much importing of discus.

Mugwump

Nice, and thanks, Liz....good info
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson