• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:58:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 309
Total: 309

Win 10.....

Started by Mugwump, October 25, 2015, 03:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Did it!  I want to dump a bunch of stuff completely off New Faithful.  I guess I can remove them by going to add and remove programs and take each one off by hand off by hand (?).
Always move forward. Never look back.

wsantia1

Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 12, 2015, 05:24:06 PM
Did it!  I want to dump a bunch of stuff completely off New Faithful.  I guess I can remove them by going to add and remove programs and take each one off by hand off by hand (?).

That's the way I do it. You get to delete the "Bloatware" that came installed on the machine. |^| |^| |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 12, 2015, 05:48:10 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on November 12, 2015, 05:24:06 PM

That's the way I do it. You get to delete the "Bloatware" that came installed on the machine. |^| |^| |^|

+1..... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks, gentlemen.  I am afraid of doing something bad to New Faithful but thanks to your help I have more confidence.  Besides...If I screw things up badly I'm sure that Dennis will come to my rescue :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Still doing good here....my dinosaur printer may need to be replaced tho....it's intermittent printing things....like it's sucking resources.. huh
..likely the drivers are not real compatible with 10...??   
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Second Hand Pat

I took the leap and installed windows 10 a couple weeks ago. I was using windows 7 and had no interest in windows 8. So far so good. It seems lightweight compared to windows 10...boots, restarts and logs in pretty fast. As a software engineer in my working life Microsoft seems to have taken a lot of lessons learned from Windows 8.

I have two user accounts on my laptop; a user and admin account. I do not seem to be bothered with lots of update messages but then I may have updates set to automatic. Just checked and have two updates pending.
Pat
Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Mugwump

Yep, so far, I'm pleased with it....like you mentioned...it boots fast, logs in quickly and handles multiple apps very well....Open Office does well with it too...I'm getting a nag thing for a Java update...but my current version does well.....are you familiar with anything related to the Java updates? I've experienced issues on the old rig with some of their updates...
Jon

BillT

I hate it less than Win 8, but I need to update a program and I need to get a new browser to do that.

Second Hand Pat

Jon, sometimes an update depends on other updates. If you google the version Java you are using you may find it needs something else to work correctly. Note that some updates are browser related. Here at the house hubby and I try to keep up with the latest updates be it windows, browser, driver etc. 
Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

wsantia1

Java is compatible with Windows 10 but it is not supported by the new Edge browser. You can use other browser to run Java driven content or you can right click the the content and open it with Explorer 11. Underneath all that other stuff Microsoft also included a hidden copy of Explorer. I have it pinned to my task bar  just in case I ever need it.
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 17, 2015, 12:31:03 PM
Java is compatible with Windows 10 but it is not supported by the new Edge browser. You can use other browser to run Java driven content or you can right click the the content and open it with Explorer 11. Underneath all that other stuff Microsoft also included a hidden copy of Explorer. I have it pinned to my task bar  just in case I ever need it.

I know....but right now I can use the current Java to open Paul's calculator and an app in my 'Commish's' section of the baseball fantasy league....so all is well....Java screwed both up a while back with an update....I'd rather it doesn't happen again.....I think that I'll let it ride as is until it's forced on me for some reason... huh

The current version works with Firefox....but even there, I do an override ...
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on November 17, 2015, 01:04:19 PM

I know....but right now I can use the current Java to open Paul's calculator and an app in my 'Commish's' section of the baseball fantasy league....so all is well....Java screwed both up a while back with an update....I'd rather it doesn't happen again.....I think that I'll let it ride as is until it's forced on me for some reason... huh

I haven't updated my Java either. lol
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on November 17, 2015, 01:06:16 PM

I haven't updated my Java either. lol

+1..... =;-)
Jon

BallAquatics

....Java screwed both up a while back with an update....

That was the whole problem in a nutshell.  Totally wrecked a mail merge I had setup in Open Office for a church client.  Put all my clients on an "Update Hold" for about a year and no problems since.  One of the reasons I always take a "wait-and-see" attitude when it comes to updates.

Linux just has it all over Windows when it come to the update process.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on November 17, 2015, 05:33:51 PM
....Java screwed both up a while back with an update....

That was the whole problem in a nutshell.  Totally wrecked a mail merge I had setup in Open Office for a church client.  Put all my clients on an "Update Hold" for about a year and no problems since.  One of the reasons I always take a "wait-and-see" attitude when it comes to updates.

Linux just has it all over Windows when it come to the update process.....

Dennis

yup......to all.... |^|
Jon