• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 02:28:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 258
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 301
Total: 301

Christmas list

Started by BallAquatics, October 18, 2015, 08:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

As you all prepare your Christmas lists, I'd like a pair of these.....

Woo Audio 234 SET (single-ended triode) monoblock amps, and the $16,000 price tag is a stellar bargain, as they also work as an amazing headphone amplifier!

Dennis

Mugwump

LOL...I'll bet you would too......LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

What are the measurements of those amps?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Quote from: PaulineMi on October 18, 2015, 05:18:34 PM

left one 8.5" H...6" wide....right one 9.5" H...6" wide...

http://234mono.com/
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on October 18, 2015, 05:18:34 PM

I haven't found where they publish the exact specs for these babies, but the SET design accomplishes two things. First, the simple circuit topology means fewer components in the signal path, leading to a purer transfer of information. Secondly, by nature, the signal passes through a single output device, which is on continuously, eliminating the crossover distortion present in a push-pull amplifier. SET amplifiers possess a magic, much like pure class-A amplifiers do.

Another thing to consider is the specs would differ slightly because the amps will accept either 2A3, 300B, or 45 power tubes.  Watts out would be something like a watt or two with the 45 tubes, while the 2A3s would generate 2?3 watts, and the 300Bs crank out about 8 watts per channel.

That SET design magic would come through in spades if you listened to groups like Crosby, Stills and Nash, Crowded House, Little Village or Todd Rundgren.

Dennis