• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 08:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 134
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 124
Total: 125

I just though of something.

Started by big b, October 16, 2015, 08:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Before mine by just a bit....I don't even remember about WWII since I wasn't born until 1950.  I know about the Nazis, too.  These days The Muslims are going nutso and we a lot of folks here in the States don't like any of them just because they are Muslims.  Most all are not fanatics.  Most are just normal people trying to make lives for themselves.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Biology was such a great course to take in school. Remember dissecting frogs?....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

With their little beating hearts still a thumpin' away.  Yes. I remember.  I only did it because it was forced on me.  I suppose if I'd had guts I'd have refused. 

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on October 18, 2015, 04:03:27 PM
Remember dissecting frogs?....

I remember my lab partner.....  good thing it was biology class.   |^|

Dennis

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on October 18, 2015, 02:10:00 PM
QuoteAntoine Lavoisier

Discoverer of oxygen.
Beheaded in the French revolution.

The concept of mass conservation is widely used in many fields such as chemistry, mechanics, and fluid dynamics. Historically, mass conservation was discovered in chemical reactions by Antoine Lavoisier in the late 18th century, and was of crucial importance in the progress from alchemy to the modern natural science of chemistry.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on October 18, 2015, 04:03:27 PM
Biology was such a great course to take in school. Remember dissecting frogs?....
I dissect fish every chance I get!
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

Dead stuff, yes.  You're looking for answer when you dissect something dead.  The answer might help the other fish. 

The frog with the beating heart was brutal.  I've been involved in many animal surgeries.  Some on my own animals.  I can handle it if good is hoped to come of it.  That frog with the beating heart they made us do was just making a live animal die so we could see a beating heart.  The lesson was painful emotionally and had no value to me.  I was such a quiet little mouse back then.  I did it was expected of me.

big b

I dissected a frog last year :). It was so COOL. The girls were grossed out but that was to be expected.

LizStreithorst

Was it dead and reeking of formaldehyde or was it's little heart still beating?

BillT

Normally a frog would be pithed or it head would be chopped off before looking at the heart.
This removes any possibility of them feeling anything.
If they didn't do this, they probably did it wrong in some way.

A frogs heart (and the hearts of many vertebrates) can beat without a functioning brain.
I have had hearts of embryonic fish beating in tissue culture (without any body attached) for days.

LizStreithorst

BillT

To me, the pithing is kind of brutal, but not the stuff after that.

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

big b

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on October 19, 2015, 11:29:07 AM

A frogs heart (and the hearts of many vertebrates) can beat without a functioning brain.
I have had hearts of embryonic fish beating in tissue culture (without any body attached) for days.

Resembles some people I know.