• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:50:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 134
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118

I just though of something.

Started by big b, October 16, 2015, 08:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

If you plant a seed in a pot and grow it then what does it do? It sends out roots and gets bigger right? So by doing that, the seed increases its mass. If the seed increases its mass the wouldn't there be more mass in the pot after the seed sends out roots? If that is true, then why doesn't the earth get bigger with all of the trees sending out huge roots?

GraphicGr8s

Using that same reasoning then what about every time a human or an animal is birthed why doesn't the atmospheric pressure increase? Or our atmosphere increase in size? Same thing with water levels when fish are born.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

The growing seed gains mass from two sources, using carbons from carbon dioxide (CO2) due to photosynthesis and from other nutrients like fertilizer (potassium (K), phosphate (PO4), and nitrate (NO3).

There would be more mass in the pot where a plant grew from a seed, due to the carbons captured by photosynthesis. This was noticed probably in the early 1800's. The nutrients would have started in the pot (unless you added fertilizer) so there would be no change in mass.

With respect to the earth and longer time scales, eventually the plants will die and decay due to things like bacterial and fungal metabolism. Carbon dioxide (CO2) will be released by the metabolic processes and other chemicals (former nutrients) will be returned to the ground.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

BillT

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

BillT

Biology classes I would guess.

Its kind of basic ecology.
How molecules flow through different different parts of the environment. Things like the carbon cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_cycle) or the nitrogen cycle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_cycle).

Also important to understanding aquarium maintenance.

GraphicGr8s

Antoine Lavoisier
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

QuoteAntoine Lavoisier

Discoverer of oxygen.
Beheaded in the French revolution.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 18, 2015, 02:10:00 PM
QuoteAntoine Lavoisier

Discoverer of oxygen.
Beheaded in the French revolution.

Well you know the French....??   
Jon

LizStreithorst

All nations go through a crazy phase.  Remember the Crusades ???  Look at us.  We have Donald Trump running highest in the polls of the republicans :o
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 18, 2015, 03:12:55 PM
Remember the Crusades ??? 

A bit before my time, but I've read about them.....

Dennis