• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:50:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 265
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 292
Total: 292

Shipping, cold weather....

Started by Mugwump, January 23, 2013, 02:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you affix/use your heat packs in the box?

Tape edges to the botton...stripe facing in
0 (0%)
Tape edges to the lid?..stripe facing in
0 (0%)
Place on sides,wrapped, near bags?
0 (0%)
Placed on all the above locations
1 (50%)
Other???...please explain...
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: January 30, 2013, 02:48:06 PM

Mugwump

Just curious what everyone does when shipping fish/plants, etc....???

If 'Other'...please explain....thanx, folks... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

I agree this would be interesting to know, got to get this ready for the spring moths to do some swapping with you Jon...
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

Mugwump

I've added another poll....if you have any more inquiries?...start another....I know Frank has extensive trials to try to help determine the best way, but it'd be interesting t get everyone else's ways of doing things.....always looking for improvement.....yep...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Frank The Plumber

I used to import fish in from Indonesia, Christmas Island, Singapore, Hawaii, The Marshalls, Venezuela, West Africa and a lot of other sources in the early 90's. Florida shipments were a piece of cake, I had weekly incoming stocks from Florida prior to the state park of 12 boxes per week in marine just from Florida. About another dozen from the globe. I would bring in about 45 boxes per month in freshwater per month. I never went into a local wholesaler. What a PIA. I would work from 6am to 1 am Wednesday Thursday and Friday humping acclimating and dealing with the dopes at ORD. (OHare airport)

My busiest week ever I brought in 47 Florida styros and 53 Pacific cargo styros, they are the bigger styros, sold everything in the shop and followed the week with another 30 and 25 of each again. Good thing I was such a young pup at the time.

I brought in an Emperator angel that was 15" and weighed 6 pounds. One whole Pac cargo styro. Special order for a basket ball star. Never met him but he had his contacts order a lot more odd stuff including a volitian lion that was 22" from edge to edge. It was like trying to put Edwards Scissors hands into a bag of water.

Brought in feeder goldfish for about a year, 16,000 per week. Those were the hardest things you can ever bring in. Sold feeders at a buck a dozen, 1,000 dozen per week. Froze the dead ones, a buck for two dozen.

In 1991 I sold 750+ or -, 55 gallon combos. I made $6 on each. I sold 40 cases of instant ocean salt per week.

I miss my shop. Those days are gone and will never return.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Mugwump

That's a lot of fish, Frank.....and yep, 'young buck' type stuff humping all those containers...where was your shop??...North side somewhere?
Jon

Frank The Plumber

Yup. Central and Elston in Chicago. It was not a big place but busy.

The problem with taping them in the box is that they get bounced around and end up loose and against your fish bags. Even if you wrap the fish bags deep into paper the packs over heat the fish if they get up against them. With the 60 hour packs you have to pre burn them for 4 hours to get them to 150F, after that they cool down and are safe. If you do not pre burn them they will cook your box. If you use only 72's they do not put out enough heat and you will loose the box to cold. I stack in one of each, a pre burned 60 and  pre heated 72 top and bottom for a total of 4 packs. I tape the holy grail out of them. I cut a card board chunk that is a bit larger than the box bottom, I cut a couple of grooves into the foam box bottom and top edge, I rotate the cardboard into the grooves with the packs taped to them, I then tape the cardboard to the box bottom as well. I poke a couple of holes in the cardboard so the packs get air. The tape sticks better to the cardboard but poorly to the foam. You can place the bottom foam down and then a chunk of card board and then your foam sides onto that cardboard to hold it tight.

I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

P4Angels

WOW frank would have love to seen that fish room.....
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

b125killer

Wow Frank sounds like you had a good business going. I still haven't shipped fish or had any fish shipped to me. So far I have been lucky and found all the fish I want close enough for me to drive. Plus I get to meet some nice people and make new friends. 
Scott

Jdmcfast

Josh

P4Angels

Quote from: Frank The Plumber on January 23, 2013, 07:30:12 PM
Yup. Central and Elston in Chicago. It was not a big place but busy.

The problem with taping them in the box is that they get bounced around and end up loose and against your fish bags. Even if you wrap the fish bags deep into paper the packs over heat the fish if they get up against them. With the 60 hour packs you have to pre burn them for 4 hours to get them to 150F, after that they cool down and are safe. If you do not pre burn them they will cook your box. If you use only 72's they do not put out enough heat and you will loose the box to cold. I stack in one of each, a pre burned 60 and  pre heated 72 top and bottom for a total of 4 packs. I tape the holy grail out of them. I cut a card board chunk that is a bit larger than the box bottom, I cut a couple of grooves into the foam box bottom and top edge, I rotate the cardboard into the grooves with the packs taped to them, I then tape the cardboard to the box bottom as well. I poke a couple of holes in the cardboard so the packs get air. The tape sticks better to the cardboard but poorly to the foam. You can place the bottom foam down and then a chunk of card board and then your foam sides onto that cardboard to hold it tight.

Can you get some pictures of how you do this?