• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 319
Total: 319

Extreme Water Change

Started by PaulineMi, January 29, 2013, 02:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

I wish my water changes were that quick.
Scott

Mugwump

Yep, quick, short and sweet....... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

shatanka

Wow short, quick, and simplified. I agree it sure beats the heck out of the bucket deal!  But, isn't that a lot of stress on the fish with such a high powered influx of water shooting at them ( don't scales get ripped off and such)  to refill the tanks? I was watching the farthest left tank and that one discus lay there for the duration until the end ( I thnk in the 2nd tank to the left another was laying down also by the sponge filter?). I thought discus couldn't take much stress like this? Gosh, they drained them down to 1" of water where they were laying on their sides. Is that good for them to go through so much?

LizStreithorst

Every time I see this vid I like it more.  It's been posted around a good bit.  Some people are offended by it.  Not me!  The fish are not stressed.  Notice that the tanks have no fitration.  They keep these Discus in perfect condition with massive WC.  I think that it's way cool.
Always move forward. Never look back.

greydragon

just look at all the water on the floor if i did that i would be out on my ear real fast

GeorgeG

It is basically the same way I do my water changes on my discus. My large tanks are drilled this way and my 5 - 325 gal water storage tanks are connected to a swimming pool pump and that puppy fills them in a matter of 3-5 minutes and I am done. My discus are also laying on their sides when I empty them including my 29 gallon tanks but I have a much smaller pump to refill these.

PaulineMi

I tend to think of discus as being so delicate.  This video and another I saw where the guy wipes down the inside of the tank swooshing the fish all over just amaze me.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

GeorgeG

I wipe down all the tank glass during the water change also. Lot's of stuff builds up on them.

PaulineMi

So do I but I'm careful not to hit the fish.  The video was about Asian fast tank cleaning. The discus were out of luck if they were in the area of the guy's hand or the rag he was swinging around. The fish didn't appear stressed at all.  :o

BallAquatics

I've come to the conclusion fish are tough little critters.  Look at all the abuse they live though at the hands of new hobbyists!

Dennis

LizStreithorst

There is no reason to tippy-toe with Discus.  They are as tough as nails as long as they're given good stable water and plenty of it.  People who have problems aren't taking proper care of their water.  If the water is stable and plentiful the Discus will take care of themselves.
Always move forward. Never look back.