• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 03:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 247
Total: 247

Meat loaf

Started by Mugwump, October 02, 2015, 05:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...the meat loaf was outstanding.....MMMmmmm....and leftovers for sandwiches too.... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I was going to make chicken fricassee over the weekend but I'm kinda tired of chicken.  I'm thinking instead  of Alton Brown's Chili or Bavarian pot roast.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on October 02, 2015, 05:58:41 PM
I was going to make chicken fricassee over the weekend but I'm kinda tired of chicken.  I'm thinking instead  of Alton Brown's Chili or Bavarian pot roast.

This might be my next pot roast project...??.....German sauerbraten...MMMMmmmmm

serves 8-10
Ingredients
1 (5-lb.) beef eye of round
2 cups red wine
1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 bouquet garni (1 tbsp. pickling spices, 14 whole cloves, 8 whole black peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, 3 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs parsley, wrapped in cheesecloth, tied with kitchen twine)
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 slices bacon, finely chopped
3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1⁄2 cup golden raisins
6 gingersnaps, crumbled
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions
Season beef liberally with salt in large bowl. Bring wine, vinegar, 1 onion, carrot, bouquet garni, and 4 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan; pour over beef. Cover and refrigerate, turning once or twice a day, for 5 days. Remove beef from marinade; pour marinade through a fine strainer into a bowl, and dry beef thoroughly. (Reserve 5 cups of the marinade and the bouquet garni.) Heat 2 tbsp. butter and bacon in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook until bacon renders its fat, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate; set aside. Add beef; cook, turning, until browned all over, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
Heat oven to 325?. Add remaining onions to pot; cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 18 minutes. Return beef to pot with reserved marinade and sachet; boil. Cover; bake until beef is very tender, about 2 1⁄2 hours. Transfer beef to a platter; pour sauce through a fine strainer into a bowl.
Return pot to medium-high heat; add remaining butter. Add flour and sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add sauce, raisins, gingersnaps, and juice; return beef to sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover pot, and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Thinly slice beef; arrange on a platter. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with bacon and parsley.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on October 02, 2015, 06:35:05 PM
The Best Meatloaf:

Sorry Bill.....really never cared for his music....I don't hate it....but eating a good meat loaf is way better than listening to him ....LOL
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on October 02, 2015, 06:11:50 PM

serves 8-10
Ingredients
2 cups red wine
1 bouquet garni (1 tbsp. pickling spices, 14 whole cloves, 8 whole black peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, 3 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs parsley, wrapped in cheesecloth, tied with kitchen twine)
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1⁄2 cup golden raisins
6 gingersnaps, crumbled
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions
Season beef liberally with salt in large bowl. Bring wine, vinegar, 1 onion, carrot, bouquet garni, and 4 cups water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan; pour over beef. Cover and refrigerate, turning once or twice a day, for 5 days. Remove beef from marinade; pour marinade through a fine strainer into a bowl, and dry beef thoroughly. (Reserve 5 cups of the marinade and the bouquet garni.) Heat 2 tbsp. butter and bacon in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat; cook until bacon renders its fat, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate; set aside. Add beef; cook, turning, until browned all over, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a plate; set aside.
Heat oven to 325?. Add remaining onions to pot; cook, stirring, until caramelized, about 18 minutes. Return beef to pot with reserved marinade and sachet; boil. Cover; bake until beef is very tender, about 2 1⁄2 hours. Transfer beef to a platter; pour sauce through a fine strainer into a bowl.
Return pot to medium-high heat; add remaining butter. Add flour and sugar; cook, whisking constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add sauce, raisins, gingersnaps, and juice; return beef to sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover pot, and cook until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Thinly slice beef; arrange on a platter. Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with bacon and parsley.

That looks really good. May have to try it myself. |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

PaulineMi

I made a meatloaf yesterday. Doug just finished a meatloaf sandwich.  |^|
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on October 02, 2015, 06:11:50 PM

serves 8-10
Ingredients
2 cups red wine
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
3 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1⁄2 cup golden raisins
6 gingersnaps, crumbled
Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Kosher salt, to taste
Instructions

I thought about sauerbraten but takes too much marinating time.  This looks just as tasty and I can do it in one day.  I'll have it with mashed taters and http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/red-cabbage-with-apple.  I plan on doing the roast in the crock pot.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/bavarian-pot-roast?pmcode=IPKDV07T&_cmp=RecipeOfTheDay&_ebid=RecipeOfTheDay9/29/2015&_mid=65273&ehid=c5887a92067ae76155d791343cb6f95aa5795225
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on October 02, 2015, 06:35:05 PM
The Best Meatloaf:

Was just thinking that Bill.  |^|

I was typing like a bat out of hell but couldn't get the third name but alas two out of three ain't bad.

I was all revved up with no place to go but for crying out loud you took the words right out of my mouth.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BillT

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on October 02, 2015, 11:29:29 PM
Nice punning.
Well it does have Shades of Gray but I am a Day dream Believer. But I'm not your stepping stone and while it might be a pleasant valley Sunday I've got to catch the last train to Clarksville looking for the good times. I Never Thought It Peculiar, I'm A Believer and I Wanna Be Free
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Jon

John Patakos

thinking of making chili tonight.meatloaf is one of my favorite meals..it truly is "comfort food".
    i was just thinking of picking up a big ole hunk of beef and making a pot roast.have not had it in awhile..

Mugwump

Quote from: John Patakos on October 04, 2015, 09:59:28 AM
thinking of making chili tonight.meatloaf is one of my favorite meals..it truly is "comfort food".
    i was just thinking of picking up a big ole hunk of beef and making a pot roast.have not had it in awhile..

...during the cooler months of fall/winter we have a pot roast about every Sunday.....made a different way each time... ;D
Jon