• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 08:04:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 321
Total: 321

AVG.....

Started by Mugwump, September 21, 2015, 10:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...seems a bit of an uproar concerning the releases of their new policies involving user data from the 'free' user accounts......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Folks....should you go to uninstall AVG, you need to go into 'Preferences' and untick where it says "Enable AVG Self Protection". Otherwise it will fight you, and continuously reinstall itself...... |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

sschind

Thanks for the tips Jon.  I use AVG and it has worked great for me.  I haven't read up on the new policies yet other than a real quick scan and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  On one hand they are providing a free service and as you all know nothing is free.  If you don't want them mining your info pay for it.  On the other hand, and its the dominant hand, it should be private information. 

The thing is most of us would probably be very surprised to learn who is gathering what information about you.  Did you ever wonder why you start getting all the pop up and banner ads for hemorrhoid cream the day after you accidentally (I meant to type Hammurabi...honest) type hemorrhoids into your google search engine.

I'll probably investigate other free AV options for a day or so and then just forget about it. 

Any suggestions?  my real quick search showed Panda as a good one.

Oh, and for those of us computer illiterate schlubs which particular "preferences" tab are you referring to.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on September 22, 2015, 11:03:53 AM
Thanks for the tips Jon.  I use AVG and it has worked great for me.  I haven't read up on the new policies yet other than a real quick scan and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  On one hand they are providing a free service and as you all know nothing is free.  If you don't want them mining your info pay for it.  On the other hand, and its the dominant hand, it should be private information. 

The thing is most of us would probably be very surprised to learn who is gathering what information about you.  Did you ever wonder why you start getting all the pop up and banner ads for hemorrhoid cream the day after you accidentally (I meant to type Hammurabi...honest) type hemorrhoids into your google search engine.

I'll probably investigate other free AV options for a day or so and then just forget about it. 

Any suggestions?  my real quick search showed Panda as a good one.

Oh, and for those of us computer illiterate schlubs which particular "preferences" tab are you referring to.

I know someone using the 'Panda' proggie too....he likes it a lot...

Jon