• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

30 years ago.....

Started by BallAquatics, September 13, 2015, 09:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Mugwump

One thing about Pete.....he could sure play the game of baseball.......he belongs in the 'Hall'......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

I would agree with that.
Betting on your own team to win should not be  problem.

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on September 13, 2015, 03:57:07 PM
One thing about Pete.....he could sure play the game of baseball.......he belongs in the 'Hall'......

He sealed his fate when he bet on the game,he should never be allowed in  the HOF.
To bad since he was a great player,  like many of the steroid cheaters.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 14, 2015, 02:09:11 AM

He sealed his fate when he bet on the game,he should never be allowed in  the HOF.

He should be in for his player career and stats......his addiction is something different...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Yep, it's certainly NOT like all the others in the Hall are without their sins.

I must say that growing up durning the years of the Big Red Machine, Pete was least favorite on the team.  He always comes off as an arogant sob, but if that wan't his personality, he probably wouldn't hold the record either.  I don't think Pete is a bad person.  He is just very competative, and bit too agressive for my tastes.

Dennis

ghonk

Quote from: BillT on September 13, 2015, 04:59:15 PM
I would agree with that.
Betting on your own team to win should not be  problem.

Seems like i heard something recently about him not always betting on them to win,but that might not be true or hasn't been proven.
Would that make a difference to you,or would you say put him it anyway.

BillT

To me betting on your own team would only induce you to do what you are supposed to do, try to win games. So no conflict.
If he was betting on his team to lose, that would be a clear conflict. Not good.

If he was betting on other teams, more fuzzy. in some cases it could be a conflict, in others perhaps not. however, it would be a more understandable reason for some kind of exclusion.

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on September 14, 2015, 06:34:50 AM

He should be in for his player career and stats......his addiction is something different...

Maybe he had an addiction,or maybe he just liked betting. 
Like tiger was addicted to sex,yeah yeah thats it i couldn't help myself.
I can't remember,was some of the betting going on when he was still a player,or did the uncontrolable addiction only pop up once he retired.

wsantia1

Quote from: ghonk on September 14, 2015, 12:27:45 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on September 14, 2015, 06:34:50 AM

Maybe he had an addiction,or maybe he just liked betting. 
Like tiger was addicted to sex,yeah yeah thats it i couldn't help myself.
I can't remember,was some of the betting going on when he was still a player,or did the uncontrolable addiction only pop up once he retired.

A recent report had him betting while he was a player. The commissioner has that report now. I wonder what bearing that will have on his decision.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

ilroost

I believe he will be in the hall someday. Maybe not until he passes but still in.

ghonk

Quote from: ilroost on September 17, 2015, 05:42:07 PM
I believe he will be in the hall someday. Maybe not until he passes but still in.

You mean the Ron Santo rule.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on September 17, 2015, 06:23:18 PM
Quote from: ilroost on September 17, 2015, 05:42:07 PM

You mean the Ron Santo rule.

...and there was no reason for his denial to the hof over the years except a few a$$hole sports writers that didn't like him personally.....jerks
Jon