• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:54:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 134
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Lost the female Manacapuru

Started by Mugwump, September 02, 2015, 12:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Well, that's a disappointment.  It does sound like there's hope though.  I know you've never done this but consider caging the eggs until they free swim.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  Galvanized gutter guard works perfectly.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 07, 2015, 01:04:23 PM
Well, that's a disappointment.  It does sound like there's hope though.  I know you've never done this but consider caging the eggs until they free swim.  Sometimes that's all it takes.  Galvanized gutter guard works perfectly.

nope....either they raise them, or I yank 'em.......no playpens allowed... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

We all have our own silly rules.  I never thought that I'd break mine, that if the fish weren't smart enough to raise their own kids they weren't smart enough to be allowed to reproduce.  I broke my rule and I'm glad I did.

The thing about caging is that the first thing some pairs think when the eggs start to hatch is to fight over them and then they end up eating them.  If the eggs are caged, once they start to wiggle and the parents can't get to them the bond between them becomes stronger, and they fall in love with the little wiggling things. 

But do as you choose...

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 07, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
We all have our own silly rules.  I never thought that I'd break mine, that if the fish weren't smart enough to raise their own kids they weren't smart enough to be allowed to reproduce.  I broke my rule and I'm glad I did.

The thing about caging is that the first thing some pairs think when the eggs start to hatch is to fight over them and then they end up eating them.  If the eggs are caged, once they start to wiggle and the parents can't get to them the bond between them becomes stronger, and they fall in love with the little wiggling things. 

But do as you choose...

If I'm going to go through the trouble of caging, I may as well yank 'em.....I'll get more fry, and have more control over the spawn....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

But if you cage once you may end up with a parent raising pair when otherwise they'd just get into the habit of fighting over them and eating them.  I won't bring it up again.  Promise.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on September 07, 2015, 01:37:05 PM
But if you cage once you may end up with a parent raising pair when otherwise they'd just get into the habit of fighting over them and eating them.  I won't bring it up again.  Promise.

LOL.....they only fight over em once if I want a spawn from a pair..... |^|........they can practice on their own time..
Jon