• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 10:30:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 127
Total: 127

I've Been Thinking!(NEVER A GOOD THING)

Started by b125killer, August 31, 2015, 08:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JR

Scott you will love a reef tank. The only tank I have left up at this time is my 400 gal reef tank. In SW bigger is always better.
Any Day Above Ground Is A Good Day

b125killer

Your absolutely right JR, I was told if you can't swim in the tank it's to small. The main goal of this tank is to cure rock for the 180 bow. I have a hundred pounds curing now. I'll be putting it in the tank next weekend. I still need to figure out what I want to do with the two big freshwater tanks that are running now. My problem is I like both tanks. I don't want to give up any of my fish. I also don't want to run three tanks that are 150 plus gallons. I know what I need to do, I just can't stand the through of letting fish go.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 03, 2015, 04:52:33 PM
Your absolutely right JR, I was told if you can't swim in the tank it's to small. The main goal of this tank is to cure rock for the 180 bow. I have a hundred pounds curing now. I'll be putting it in the tank next weekend. I still need to figure out what I want to do with the two big freshwater tanks that are running now. My problem is I like both tanks. I don't want to give up any of my fish. I also don't want to run three tanks that are 150 plus gallons. I know what I need to do, I just can't stand the through of letting fish go.

Aw shucks....run the three big tanks... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

Are there any reasons to n run all the tanks?

LizStreithorst

He works all the time, B.  But, from what I've heard about salt water, once you've got it going right maintenance is an exercise  in restraint.  About the opposite from Discus keeping.
Always move forward. Never look back.

big b

An exercise in restraint? You mean like it's hard to not do any maintenance?

sschind

I just got a text today asking if I was interested in a 90 gallon reef tank with refugium and all.  I replied that unless it was free I wasn't interested.  Strange thing is I have no idea who it was from.
Steve Schindler

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's snobbery and one-upmanship. People trying to pretend they're superior. Makes it so much harder for those of us who really are.

HB

Mugwump

Quote from: sschind on October 07, 2015, 06:38:05 PM
I just got a text today asking if I was interested in a 90 gallon reef tank with refugium and all.  I replied that unless it was free I wasn't interested.  Strange thing is I have no idea who it was from.

should have had my name on the mssg...  |^|
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

Quote from: Mugwump on October 07, 2015, 07:06:01 PM
Quote from: sschind on October 07, 2015, 06:38:05 PM

should have had my name on the mssg...  |^|

and I think I pm'd Scott too....?.... huh
Jon

b125killer

Big b, I don't want to run three big tanks mostly because of time. The discus take up a lot of my time. Also it cost almost the same to run my tanks now as it did to run 11 or so tanks when I was breeding. I'm also quickly finding out the true cost of running saltwater. There's a lot of stuff on them tanks. It seems every time I turn around I'm shelling out more money for something I forgot or didn't do correctly to begin with.
Scott

b125killer

Ok I got the rock into the tank. The skimmer is going and the heater is on. That's The plus the bad is I had to take the sump out and redo it. It seems I put the first two baffles above the hight of the incoming water chamber. That created all kinds of problems. The biggest being the water was only trickling into the return chamber.
I got the sump back together and tested the system again, more problems. I can't get the flow right. If I turn it up to where it needs the overflows sound like a waterfall. If I turn it down to stop the "waterfall" I don't get good return flow. The only way I can think to stop this is plum the overflows with a durso method. It would work but also requires me to drill the tank. I don't have the space in my diy overflow to plum it this way. So I ordered the drill I need to drill glass two bulkheads and a real overflow box. So far with what this tank has cost me I could of got a breeding pair of discus!  :o
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on October 08, 2015, 08:40:51 PM
Ok I got the rock into the tank. The skimmer is going and the heater is on. That's The plus the bad is I had to take the sump out and redo it. It seems I put the first two baffles above the hight of the incoming water chamber. That created all kinds of problems. The biggest being the water was only trickling into the return chamber.
I got the sump back together and tested the system again, more problems. I can't get the flow right. If I turn it up to where it needs the overflows sound like a waterfall. If I turn it down to stop the "waterfall" I don't get good return flow. The only way I can think to stop this is plum the overflows with a durso method. It would work but also requires me to drill the tank. I don't have the space in my diy overflow to plum it this way. So I ordered the drill I need to drill glass two bulkheads and a real overflow box. So far with what this tank has cost me I could of got a breeding pair of discus!  :o

The better part of the lesson is the journey. It's hectic sometimes as problems are discovered and resolved....but at the end, this will provide you with the most pleasure.....the accomplishment...... Have fun, can't wait to see it all completed..... good job  |^|
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on October 09, 2015, 05:56:25 AM

The better part of the lesson is the journey. It's hectic sometimes as problems are discovered and resolved....but at the end, this will provide you with the most pleasure.....the accomplishment...... Have fun, can't wait to see it all completed..... good job  |^|

Hang in there Scott. You can do this. |^|
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on October 09, 2015, 07:21:31 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on October 09, 2015, 05:56:25 AM

Hang in there Scott. You can do this. |^|

+1..... |^|
Jon