• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 374
Total: 374

Discus Strain Question

Started by PaulineMi, January 25, 2013, 10:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I was pretty lucky in my choice of discus strains with some guidance from Liz. (Thanks again)

Now I've decided to get two more and am having a difficult time deciding on strains choices. Pure sky blue, I think it's Blue Diamond, and a nice sunny yellow are appealing. However I want to avoid peppering (pigeon bloods), bars and darkening.  Is this a realistic possibility?

Input requested....hint, hint Liz and Barb. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Do you have a pic of 'peppering'....is this a bust up of markings from a stripeless gene??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Barb

Hi Pauline,  Blue Diamonds will have no peppering, they are not Pigeon Blood based.  I think the yellow might, but I am not positive, I have never had yellows.  The peppering looks just like pepper sprinkled on the fish Jon.  With some it can look almost solid black in some PB based discus.  Considered to be a defect.  Yes, it is the remains of the former stripes in the fish's history.  Peppering can be really bad if the fish is on a dark substrate, the fish tries to blend in for safety.   If you feed regular color enchancing foods to the yellow discus it can change it to more of an orange or reddish fish I have heard.  They need different foods.

For good blues I can recommend Blue Diamond, Blue Cobalt and Flatchen ( a beautiful blue green color).  I have two each of these.  Good luck!  Pauline I hope to start cone making soon.
Barb

PaulineMi

Thanks Barb...here's what I fell in love with: http://bestdiscuscare.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/blue-diamond-discus.jpg

I'll do a bit more research on the yellows. I've seen pictures of what I like but will have to start writing down what they're called and do some more web surfing.

Cone and planters.... :)
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

Here is a pic of a peppered PB  http://www.google.com/imgres?q=peppered+pigeon+blood&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7GGIH_en&biw=1280&bih=784&tbm=isch&tbnid=P-45OgoVrB6h3M:&imgrefurl=http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/fish-app&docid=yu_g6yfUgXaNpM&imgurl=http://www.eheim.com/resources/img/fish/f244.gif&w=400&h=200&ei=wAUDUd3ZIIagywG9oYHQBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=2&vpy=78&dur=1329&hovh=159&hovw=318&tx=121&ty=84&sig=107517995825811787117&page=2&tbnh=130&tbnw=260&start=27&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:49,s:0,i:237

But I've got news for you.  Your White Butterfly is a PB as well.  I see no peppering on it.  The really good ones have almost none.

A good clear yellow is a very difficult color to get in Discus.  Most are somewhat orangey and get moreso if they are color fed.  The fish will be either PB based or Golden based.  If Golden, it will not show pepper.  You need to ask questions of the importer.

As far as bars, all non Pigeons with the exception of BDs and some top quality San Merahs will express bars depending on their mood and condition.  If they're stressed they will show their bars.  If their in breeding mode they may show their bars.  It's not considered a fault, although at a show a fish not showing heavy bars is at an advantage over a fish that is expressing them heavily.

The BDs in your picture are top quality fish.  They look like show fish.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Maybe this peppering picture will work.  http://www.fantasyreef.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1083

Will a Blue Diamond that's not show quality still have that rich blue color?

LizStreithorst

Your pic is of a stunted fish.  You can tell by the relation of the size of the eye to the size of the body.  You can also see that somewhere the line had been outcrossed to a non PB.  That's why you see bars AND pepper.  Either the breeder didn't do a good job of selection, or the poor fish in a tank with flithy debris holding substrate is stressed.  Likely, both.

BDs are all over the map when it comes to depth of color.  A light powder blue is considered most desirable.  Also, lighting plays a part in how the fish looks in a photo.  You're a photographer.  You know that.

Tell the person you buy from exactly what you want in a fish.  Trust me.  They would rather deal with a decerning client than somebody who says, "Send me one of this strain and one of that".

PaulineMi

Once again....thanks for the info Liz.

LizStreithorst

You're welcome, Pauline.  I'm sorry that I'm so dang blunt.  It's a failing of mine.

One more word of advice.  Go for what turns you on, not what is considered desirable by the "experts".  The fish are yours.  The only person they need to make happy is you.

PaulineMi

I'm cool with blunt.  All's good.  ;)