• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 241
Total: 242

Getting To Know You

Started by PaulineMi, January 24, 2013, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I observe them and they do the same in return. 

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

LOL.....yep, the old evil eye and.."where's my bloodworms?" look... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Lol.....Jon, yes you are an experienced fish person. 
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

That's a great photo Pauline!  Is it any wonder we all love our fish...

Dennis

PaulineMi

What I'm really fascinated with is the way these fish learn to trust.  I'm used to fish that either hide, who could care less about my presence or my angels and various other cichlids who practically turn inside out with excitement when I approach their tanks. (I know it's actually it's because I'm the keeper of their food.)

I understand discus care requirements but don't know their "personalities". They started out VERY skittish with almost panic level behavior. Then we started the observation phase. I'd sit and watch them and they started watching me. Then they'd approach the front of the tank when I'd enter the room. There was still caution but it was progress. All the tiny steps forward were only noticeable when sitting and mutually observing each other.  A fish!  Who'da thunk.  Lol.  And the real treat was today all four of them finally ate.  No bloodworms either, which was all they would eat the first day here.

This picture captured what's been going on. ;)

b125killer

That is a good picture. It always seems to amaze me how they do learn who you are. When Jon walks across the room the angels follow him It's so neat. I have a few angels that come up and let me pet them. The only fish that have trust issues with me are the St Isabel/Rio Negro. When I feed them they don't like to come up to eat and when they do they dart back behind the filter like I'm going to get them. If I stand back a few feet they hammer the food like there will be no more food for them. 
Scott

PaulineMi

Yes....I know whay you mean. I have some fish that require that distance factor for observational purposes. Lol.

ilroost

That is a great pict. Love it

LizStreithorst

Just wait until they start taking food from your fingers and letting you pet them.  You will be in heaven. 

Nice pattern on that PE.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Thanks ilroost.

Liz..the little "blue rose jewel" (I keep forgetting its strain) grabbed food from my fingers today!  I didn't expect it at all. You're so right. I loved it.

All four of them are finally eating well now. Progress.