• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:04:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 134
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

Would like to suggest....

Started by Ron Sower, August 20, 2015, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

In my opinion, the rate of technological change seems to be accelerating. Its just that a lot of it is not so obvious unless you seek it out. Or its ignored because you are already used to it or perhaps have become used to constant change.

Here are some advances since I was born that I think are significant (of course this limited to my interests and what I recall quickly):
? Structure and functioning of DNA (and molecular genetics in general): 1953 (year I was born) and later.
? Transisters, Integrated Circuits etc. (50's, 60's, 70's).
? Cladisitics: a powerful and much more objective approach to deciding evolutionary relationships (50's I think in Germany, but not till maybe the 70's in the US).
? A better understanding of plate tectonics, continental drift, and the age of the planet's surface.
? The Hubble Space Telescope and all the cool stuff it has lead to: a black hole at the center of ever galaxy, dark energy, the large size and numbers of the Universe.
? The huge numbers of planets being found orbiting other stars. I think it is now expected that on average, any given star will have a planet orbiting it. This information is accumulating at an accelerating rate.
? The finding of water and organic chemicals (required for life as we know it) by space probes, all over the place, in our solar system. Also a greater understanding of planetary diversity.
? Mars rovers: Evidence of past conditions adequate for life.
? Confocal microscopy: allow us to see through tissue where we could not see before (1990's?).
? Super-resolution microscopy: see things smaller than the former theoretical limits of the wavelength of light. Based on computer analysis of collected light as well as non-transmission optics, thereby avoiding wavelength limitations.
? Development of a much better genetic, cellular, and molecular understanding of development (1980 and on). This would include things like a Saturation Mutagenesis of embryonic development. That means collecting as many mutations as you can that effect embryonic development, until you start getting repeats of mutations of the same gene over and over. This is when you have reached saturation. You have therefore identified most of the genes affecting the development of some embryonic feature. The rules driving embryonic development determine the adult form and function and which in turn, through the developed form and function of the brain, drive behavior and psychology.
? Complete genome sequencing (90's and on).
? Increased computer capabilities to compare different species by comparing their entire genomes. (just in the last few years). Having 2 billion sites (base pairs) to compare in each species, in ever gene, genome comparisons can reveal much more subtle relationships, like interbreeding among the swordtail speciesas they evolved apart).
? Genome transformation (making genetically modified organisms), especially now using the Crisper method. Crisper pretty much lets you do what you want if you know the sequences involved. (last few years)
? 3D printing (since 80's, personal for ~10 years)
? A better understanding of global warming.
? MRI's, functional MRI's, CAT scans (70's through the 2000's); better understanding of brain function.
? GIS and things like Google Earth.
? Internet stuff in general.
? 3D animation.
? Dark Matter and Dark Energy

In recent years, it seem to me, cool advances have been coming along even faster by taking two cool things and combining them to something even cooler.
I find this stuff very exciting.

Sadly, there is an absolute zero.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on August 25, 2015, 09:02:12 PM
We haven't invented much because all the good ideas were taken or in Japan.

....balderdash......not so....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Bill, I was referring to actual inventions. Like radio and TV. Many of the things we think were developed today were actually done in the 60.

And now we can't even put another man on the moon.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

BallAquatics

Yes, homo sapiens is very industrious.....  obesity now kills more people than hunger.....

I've read more than once, that 1969 was the height of human achievement.

It will be very interesting to see if climate change will pull us togerher as a species or if we let religious beliefs end us all.  Just imagine, thousands of years into the furure, archeologists trying to solve the mystery of why these ancient beings allowed tribal feuding over imaginary beings to end their race.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 26, 2015, 10:31:15 AM
Bill, I was referring to actual inventions. Like radio and TV. Many of the things we think were developed today were actually done in the 60.

'can't' ???...or simply don't need/want to....?.....heck they just pin-point landed on an asteroid...LOL.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on August 26, 2015, 11:59:19 AM

So? We landed on the moon. With the computing power of basically a Commodore 64.

'can't' ???...or simply don't need/want to....?.....heck they just pin-point landed on an asteroid...LOL.....
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 26, 2015, 12:04:41 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on August 26, 2015, 11:59:19 AM

So? We landed on the moon. With the computing power of basically a Commodore 64.

...LOL....So? you knew that.....now what?.. w!w
Jon

GraphicGr8s

What I am saying is there is really nothing much new under the sun. Most if not all the stuff we have traces back to stuff invented by the earlier generation. Nothing really new, like TV is being invented.

BillT

Not all perhaps, but many on that list are inventions.

On the other thing, almost everything traces back to something else.

Oh, I forgot:
? PCR (polymerase chain reaction) an important invention for studying very small numbers of DNA molecules. invented by a surfer scientist in Hiwaii in 1985, he got a Nobel prise
? Ability to sequence DNA genomes from ancient organisms, including human ancestors (2000's +)

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 26, 2015, 12:28:50 PM
What I am saying is there is really nothing much new under the sun. Most if not all the stuff we have traces back to stuff invented by the earlier generation. Nothing really new, like TV is being invented.

a few in here..laser, etc....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a341/2078467/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions_%281946%E2%80%9391%29

http://www.krysstal.com/display_inventions.php?years=After+1950
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: BillT on August 26, 2015, 01:08:39 PM
? Ability to sequence DNA genomes from ancient organisms, including human ancestors (2000's +)

That's how they found out we cross bred with Neanderthal's isn't it?

Dennis

BillT

QuoteThat's how they found out we cross bred with Neanderthal's isn't it?

Yes indeed!
To me, one of the most surprising technological developments in recent years. I was shocked!

Quotea few in here..laser, etc....

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a341/2078467/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions_%281946%E2%80%9391%29

http://www.krysstal.com/display_inventions.php?years=After+1950

For some reason I thought lasers were invented earlier. Masers would go along with that (Microwave (rather than light) Emission by Stimulated Emission of Radiation).

Also two more rather prosaic ones I like:
? screw drives for hand drills: I consider them to be huge labor savers.
? digital photography: more pictures for less money. Better storage.

GraphicGr8s

1960 for the laser is pretty early.

The first Maser was 1954.

But still in the last 30 years (give or take) nothing really has been "new".

Hell even the STS was 1960s technology.

BillT

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: BillT on August 26, 2015, 03:50:32 PM
Here's a really weird invention, combines 3D printing, robots, nano-stuff:
http://www.rdmag.com/news/2015/08/3-d-printed-microscopic-fish-do-more-swim?et_cid=4769597&et_rid=651558105&type=headline

Heck we had micro fiche way back. Had to use a really small hook and they were too hard to clean. Had to fry up a few hundred just to fill a cavity.