• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 05:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 280
Total: 280

Are you a picky eater????

Started by Mugwump, August 09, 2015, 06:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I don't understand why people won't give new things a try.  Heck, when I was a kid I was in love with frog legs.  Another favorite was escargot.  I know people who won't eat lamb ???  I know people who won't eat "weird fish".  "Weird fish" includes sushi and oysters on the half shell ::)  Some folks won't eat livers or gizzards.  (You're excused since you told the story, Mug)  All this stuff can be excellent or not good.  Except for raw oysters which are what they are, it depends on the way the food is prepared and the quality of the ingredients.   
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

MMMmmmmm  steamed clams.....and I wish that I could have a bowl of my Mom's oyster soup(stew).......which I wouldn't eat as a kid....or enjoying baby smoked oysters and Jack cheese on crackers with my Dad....MMMmmmm......folks don't realize that your taste buds do change....a lot sometimes too...

....I will admit to drawing the line when Dad offered the baby unborn eels......little white things with eyes??....nada...tried a bite tho...yep, as bad as it looked....LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: Owl307 on August 10, 2015, 02:22:37 PM
yeah I'm a picky one... wouldnt eat 42 of those items

You should hook up with the non vegetable eater,you would both starve for sure. ;)

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 10, 2015, 03:48:27 PM
I don't understand why people won't give new things a try.  Heck, when I was a kid I was in love with frog legs.  Another favorite was escargot.  I know people who won't eat lamb ???  I know people who won't eat "weird fish".  "Weird fish" includes sushi and oysters on the half shell ::)  Some folks won't eat livers or gizzards.  (You're excused since you told the story, Mug)  All this stuff can be excellent or not good.  Except for raw oysters which are what they are, it depends on the way the food is prepared and the quality of the ingredients.

The word "sushi" means "it's sour," which reflects back to sushi's origins of being preserved in salt. Sushi in Japan is very simple and usually doesn't contain more than one type of fish or one type of vegetable. 

sushi is not raw fish, that?s sashimi.

Sashimi is just sliced raw fish, sometimes dipped in sauces and sometimes served with sushi.  Sushi is any food dish consisting of vinegared rice, usually served with some other toppings, but not always. It happens to often be served with various types of sea food, either cooked or raw, and perhaps even a mix of the two; but that tradition simply comes from the primary food staples of the locations where sushi originated (not Japan, by the way). Sushi can be served with just about any toppings or none at all.

The variety of sushi served with raw sea food has given rise to the notion that sushi is any dish served with raw fish. In fact though, sushi is more often than not served in the western world with fully cooked sea food, including: cooked imitation crab (California roll); smoked salmon (Seattle roll); grilled squid or octopus; fully cooked shrimp; and fully cooked clam. It is also often served with fried and battered sea food of varying types. There are also a variety of vegetarian sushi dishes, including the very popular maki (cucumber rolls).
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

PaulineMi

I'd like credit for "trying" sashimi. My son likes it and suggested I try it in a restaurant in California. Not something I'd try again. I did try a second item while there with raw eel.... ???  Didn't like that either...at all.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

big b

A raw eel? Like it was still alive or it was dead? Either way, I would have ran up to the chef or the owner and just have started beating them with the eel. Try to imagine it, I think you are also smiling as you think of it :).

LizStreithorst

Quote from: PaulineMi on August 11, 2015, 08:44:49 AM
I'd like credit for "trying" sashimi. My son likes it and suggested I try it in a restaurant in California. Not something I'd try again. I did try a second item while there with raw eel.... ???  Didn't like that either...at all.

I like sashimi but more often go for the rolls.  They're not all cooked, spicy tuna for example, and not all places use artificial crab meat in their California rolls.

B needs to broaden his horizons.

big b

You should try to be a 14 year old in this year and see what they try to feed you. School lunches have ruined a few foods for me. They try to make us eat sweet potato french fries. I refuse to try almost every new food because of the school lunches.

GraphicGr8s

Having Grandparents born in the boot there are some Italian foods I will never try. Tripe is one of them.
We used to go seine net killie fish out in Long Island Sound. Gramps would eat them raw. I did like them floured and deep fried with ketchup. No you don't clean and gut the little suckers.
Smoked eel is outstanding though. Scungilli no way. Clams on the half shell are great.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

Tripe...the lining of a cow's stomach if I'm not mistaken.  It has never been served to me, but I'd try it.  I'll try anything and if I don't like it will try it again if prepared differently.  I would hope that is is  better than the boiled Chicklin's I once had. I don't even know what Scungill is but I'd give it a try. 

Rjb3

Quote from: BallAquatics on August 10, 2015, 10:43:31 AM
Quote from: Ron Sower on August 10, 2015, 10:33:47 AM
Besides, when I was a kid, we ate what my Mom fixed. That was it! We were happy to have it too!  ;)

LOL makes me think of home Ron.  I was NEVER made to eat anything, Mom would say, "This is what we're having!", meaning take it or leave it, but you were not getting something else.  LOL

Dennis

Same here.

Rjb3

BTW, I don't eat 11 on the list. Some I've tried and just don't eat. Others I had to Google to see what they were and, based on the description, don't eat.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 11, 2015, 09:08:43 PM
Tripe...the lining of a cow's stomach if I'm not mistaken.  It has never been served to me, but I'd try it.  I'll try anything and if I don't like it will try it again if prepared differently.  I would hope that is is  better than the boiled Chicklin's I once had. I don't even know what Scungill is but I'd give it a try.
In reality, scungilli can be any type of large sea snail, like whelks, that's been cleaned and cut up into smallish pieces. The scungilli you usually find in restaurants comes from a can, is typically served in antipasto salads or pasta dishes, and is associated with the Feast of the Seven Fishes.

A while ago I wanted to make a seafood past so I got paella mixed seafood. Not really a fan of it so the mother in law got the bag and the sauce. Little G likes squid and he did eat the polpo out of the mix.

big b

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 11, 2015, 09:08:43 PM
*gags* *faints*

ghonk

I ate Menudo (mexican tripe soup) a few times,it was good.