• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 11:27:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 196
Total: 196

tank structurally ability question

Started by big b, August 09, 2015, 01:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big b

While doing a water change on my 5 gallon I had an idea. I have 2 ten gallon tanks behind my 5 gallon. Why not put the 5 gallon bucket on top of the 10 gallons rims and have it fill up the tank while I am emptying out the tank. I put the bucket on where the 2 edges meet on both tanks so it would have a better foundation. Is it possible that this will eventually crack the glass? It is 50 pounds of water so I am a bit concerned if I should continue doing this.

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on August 09, 2015, 01:59:01 AM
While doing a water change on my 5 gallon I had an idea. I have 2 ten gallon tanks behind my 5 gallon. Why not put the 5 gallon bucket on top of the 10 gallons rims and have it fill up the tank while I am emptying out the tank. I put the bucket on where the 2 edges meet on both tanks so it would have a better foundation. Is it possible that this will eventually crack the glass? It is 50 pounds of water so I am a bit concerned if I should continue doing this.

,,,likely not a good idea IMHO......I wouldn't....."Murphy's Law".....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I have 6 people advising against it, and 3 people saying it's ok. I guess I have my answer.

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

big b

LizStreithorst

Make that 8, son.  It's not that hard to change water on a few tanks.  Get caffeinated up and just do it.  You're young and strong changing water in your few tanks with buckets is no huge chore.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 09, 2015, 12:16:01 PM
Make that 8, son.  It's not that hard to change water on a few tanks.  Get caffeinated up and just do it. You're young and strong changing water in your few tanks with buckets is no huge chore.

You bet....we just finished changing water on about 1500 gal.... ;D......buckets only for sponge squeezing.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

big b

I decided against it. Although I am a bit mad at the time it takes. The shortest time I have ever done on all my tanks was 30 minutes and that was only 1 time. The normal time is about1-1.5 hours. With these new tanks I am adding it will be like 3 hours :(

Mugwump

Quote from: big b on August 09, 2015, 01:40:46 PM
I decided against it. Although I am a bit mad at the time it takes. The shortest time I have ever done on all my tanks was 30 minutes and that was only 1 time. The normal time is about1-1.5 hours. With these new tanks I am adding it will be like 3 hours :(

....get a python..... 8)
Jon

big b

Ugh, I don't want to because I have not ever used it before and I don't know how it works and I don't think it will work with my faucet.
I think it may be time to stop making excuses and just get one.

LizStreithorst

Geeze, post a pic of your faucet and I can tell you if it will work. 

ilroost

You think a hour is a long time, then you should be here when i do mine. Minimum of 5 or 6 hours to get it done.
But i don't mind it at all. Kinda fun and relaxing to putz around the fish room

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

it looks to me like you should be able to unscrew the little part on the output end of the faucet with pliers or if you're gentle, vice grips.  If there are threads, you can hook a python to it.  They come with adaptors.  If your's doesn't come with what you need, take the piece you have removed  from the faucet as well as the connectors that come with your python to a hardware store or a Lowes and tell them what you want to do.