• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 07:00:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 545
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 489
Total: 490

Dogs and Face Recognition and MRI

Started by BillT, August 05, 2015, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

http://www.alnmag.com/news/2015/08/dogs-process-faces-specialized-brain-area?et_cid=4716887&et_rid=651558105&type=cta

Dogs evolved from wolves 10-30 thousand years ago. It would be nice if they were able to compare their results with wolves.
However, its probably not easy to train a wolf to look at a screen for 30 seconds while in a MRI.

LizStreithorst

Thanks.  I'm in to dogs and I'm into Neuropsychology.  I've read everything by Oliver Sacks.  He suffers from "face blindness", you know.  I have the same thing but nowhere near as bad as he has it.  Until I read about it in one of his books I thought it was a personality flaw.  I found out differently.  Face recognition is quite variable in humans.  I knew one lady, a retired school teacher, who would meet one of her middle school students as an adult and be able to call her by name.  Remarkable.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BillT

Yeah, that stuff is fascinating.

Too bad Oliver Sacks has cancer and is expecting to die soon.

You would probably like the book: The Mind of a Mnemonist, by the Russian Pyshologist Luria.

It describes a guy who had both extreme synaesthesia (where senses get mixed like getting a flavor when you see a color), would get lots of associated facts come to mind based on the synaesthetic sensations, and had great difficulty forgetting anything.
This made his life difficult.

LizStreithorst

I didn't know that Sacks was sick with cancer.  When he dies it will be a huge loss to humanity.  I'll look up the book you suggested on Amazon.  thank you.
Always move forward. Never look back.