• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 05:33:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 182
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 280
Total: 280

Tampa Bay flooding....

Started by Mugwump, August 03, 2015, 02:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I hope '8's ok down there..... ???

The Anclote River is currently at more than 20 feet and is predicted to exceed flood stage at 24 feet on Monday, Tampa Bay Online reported. The National Weather Service also issued a flood warning.
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Hope he's okay too. I just saw all the flooding down there!
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

Hey, Graphic! Give us a shout to let us know how you're doing!!!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I had no idea.  Give us a head's up.  We fear that you're in the soup.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

In another thread here I posted that Tampa would have to be 20' under water before I flood. But I really appreciate you guys and the concern. You guys are really great.

I am towards the top of the area. My neighbors however down at the valley have Cypress Creek that normally is a trickle. Not today. I came up the road and thank God they are in mobile homes. They are above the ground level and that is good. Cypress Creek overflowed and has taken over their yards. All their horses are now in my backyard neighbor's stable. During the day I am letting them put  a few of the horses over here to graze and keep them apart from Debbie's horses. (My neighbor at the back of my property.) She asked me today but she knows it goes without saying the answer is always yes.
The neighbors down in the valley I don't know at all. But if they need help well, whatever I can do I will.
As far as I know right now no one has water in the house.

It is pretty bad though. Like you said the Anclote hasn't even crested yet. And while we've gone to 40-50% chance of rain the ground is saturated. Roads in Tampa have been closed. Exits off of I275 were shut down. The Gandy bridge was shut down for a while.

One good thing is no wind.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

Do us a favor and give us an update every day while this lasts.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Back in 95 we were up in NY on vacation in Sept and we wound up with 3' of water in the house. Somewhere in the $20-40 grand range in damages. And no flood insurance not that it would have helped any with what was required. We had tropical storm Jerry go through after a super wet summer.
In 98 when I saw the water coming up yet again I was home. Me and my father in law went to HD to get stakes/1x6 and plastic. County was giving sandbags so I got over 100. Built a dam around the house and rented two pumps to just pump the water from one side of the dam to the other. I was up for 48 hours straight keeping the pumps going and fixing blowouts in the dam.
Neighbors, friends, even my boss was there with me to put it up and get it going. God was watching over me. The dam wasn't where I was heading in my thought process.

We got water in the house when the dam would blow out but as soon as I got it patched it was dry.

All that being said I will say this. After about 24 hours I got to lay down for a bit and lament and watch the news. I started thinking how bad I had it. Until I watched the news and the Mississippi was overflowing and I watched as houses were washing away. I got down on my knees and started praying for those people. I lost some personal stuff and more money. Those people lost everything. It was a learning moment for me.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 03, 2015, 09:13:39 PM
Do us a favor and give us an update every day while this lasts.
I'll try. I don't really traverse the areas that have flooded. Elfers and Trinity are a distance from me. I do go by them when I go to Anclote Park to go fishing though.  And I am never in South Tampa where most of the flooding is now. Much of the flooding there will go down depending on the tide and the gulf flush. Most of these areas have problems during a normal heavy downpour. Most of those areas never should have been developed in the first place.

BTW that last post of mine was my former house not this one. And it's never flooded since and I think even now it's dry. God wanted me out of there. I did a heck of a lot of remodeling on that house. I loved it probably more than this one built for us. Had a 90 in the wall of the family room I built. And a 7' deep bay window I custom built.

Mugwump

..it's good to hear that you've avoided the water so far..here's hoping the rains hold off, or at least are light.....and no winds...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

We are down to about a 30% chance of rain for most of the week. Unfortunately for those in the Elfers and Trinity area the Anclote won't crest until Friday.
They had video on this mornings news about the Town and Country area and it's still underwater. Things will probably get a little worse vis a vis flooding and waiting for the rivers to crest even though the rains have subsided.
I looked over on my way out this morning and it appears that the water has not made it into the houses at the end of my road. Still have AC units and wells under water but at least they are still at home. I remember those days pretty vividly.

I'm not sure but I think if you go to myfoxtampabay . com you can see the videos and pictures I see on TV.

GraphicGr8s

Almost forgot.
When I got to the end of the road yesterday going to work there were walking catfish crossing.

Neighbor said that they were there Saturday also.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 04, 2015, 07:56:14 AM
Almost forgot.
When I got to the end of the road yesterday going to work there were walking catfish crossing.

Neighbor said that they were there Saturday also.

I hope they don't venture too far, they'll need to back track as the water recedes.... ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Most if not all get run over. But as I was stopped waiting to get onto the main road one was right there on the side of me. If I wasn't going to work he would be in a tank.

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 04, 2015, 09:13:22 AM
Most if not all get run over. But as I was stopped waiting to get onto the main road one was right there on the side of me. If I wasn't going to work he would be in a tank.

LOL...probably yak at ya the whole trip home too...... ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s