• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 242
Total: 242

Red beans and rice

Started by LizStreithorst, August 02, 2015, 08:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Y'all should be here to enjoy it with me.  I make the best red beans and rice I've ever tasted...really ;D
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 02, 2015, 08:02:59 PM
Y'all should be here to enjoy it with me.  I make the best red beans and rice I've ever tasted...really ;D

....good stuff...........a guy from Puerto Rico used to share some of his with me sometimes.....MMMmmmm...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I wonder what kind of sausage they use in Puerto Rico?  Down here we use smoked Cajun sausage.

ilroost

Gota have hot sauce with red beans and rice

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: ilroost on August 02, 2015, 09:33:53 PM

So true. I put enough on to kill the taste.
When I first got married I couldn't get enough of the wife's red beans and rice
When we were having our house built we stayed with my inlaws. I can't stand them now. Them and "Something over rice".
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 02, 2015, 08:24:35 PM
I wonder what kind of sausage they use in Puerto Rico?  Down here we use smoked Cajun sausage.

Eddies wife took round steak, pounded with flour/salt/peppers and cooked it in tomatoes for over a day.....it was juicy, tender, and extremely tasty....almost like 'Swissing' it....she put that on top of his beans/rice......plus she'd send me some of those wonderful baked bananas...MMMMmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 03, 2015, 09:11:49 AM

When we were having our house built we stayed with my inlaws. I can't stand them now. Them and "Something over rice".

I don't put hot sauce on mine.  I throw in a good pinch of cayenne and the sausage is already spicy.

What is your problem with rice?  It's my favorite staple.  I learned to cook it correctly while I lived in Mexico.  The trick is in browning it in butter before adding water or stock.  It's really brings out the nutty flavor in brown rice although I usually don't have the patience for brown...45 minutes cooking time rather than just 20.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on August 03, 2015, 09:20:52 AM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on August 03, 2015, 09:11:49 AM

I don't put hot sauce on mine.  I throw in a good pinch of cayenne and the sausage is already spicy.

What is your problem with rice?  It's my favorite staple.  I learned to cook it correctly while I lived in Mexico.  The trick is in browning it in butter before adding water or stock.  It's really brings out the nutty flavor in brown rice although I usually don't have the patience for brown...45 minutes cooking time rather than just 20.

I don't really have a problem with rice Liz. I just don't want "Something over rice" every time she cooks.
Back in the late 80s my grandfather lived with us. After he went to stay with my mother in NY (he never did make it back here) we didn't eat pasta in any way shape or form for over 2 years. And I'm Italian.
When I cook I usually try to vary the menu. Most of the time I will fire up the charcoal and grill some type of a dead animal. Then add some veggies. I am just trying to stay away from the high carb foods.

When I was younger I also threw salt on everything without tasting it. Now I rarely use any salt. In fact most foods seem too salty for me. Especially restaurant foods.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were