• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:02:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 325
Total: 325

Snots eat eggs

Started by LizStreithorst, August 09, 2015, 09:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I've had snots in breeding tanks before so when I couldn't catch the one in the tank where Mug's Angels spawned I didn't think much of it.  What I didn't think about was that snots in my breeding tanks were always in with a pair of Discus who guarded their eggs.  Blue Marble eggs, without parents, were totally vulnerable.  The next day, POOF eggs gone.

You'd think that after having bred fish for 14 years I'd have been more aware of the fact that all fish find eggs to be the most wonderful food.  I hope the little snot filled up full because until I get around to fishing him out of that tank so I can add another pair of Angels I will let him eat cake.  (Algae, that is)
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

caviar........yum yum.....yep, way too tempting to pass up....sorry to hear that...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Ron Sower

I've got 2 adult snots in my 12g shrimp tank and have notice that I don't see the newly hatched shrimp much anymore. I have thought the big snots might be getting the new ones for a nice delicious shrimp meal. The big ones are strong and quick enough to scoot away, but the newbies aren't large and strong enough to escape the suction.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

wsantia1

Sorry to hear that Liz. My snots were eating my eggs or causing the Angels to eat them. I was solely blaming the Angels. I have removed the snots from my breeding tanks and the Angels are back to raising normally.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

It's not the end of the world.  I have this pair, if they actually are a pair.  They're in a breeding tank but continue to do nothing.  One is obviously male and they seem to like each too much each other to be both males.
Always move forward. Never look back.