• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:14:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 350
Total: 350

Picky Eaters

Started by PaulineMi, January 19, 2013, 08:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

So the new discus think frozen bloodworms should be their exclusive diet. Today I stuck to my guns and fed beefheart soaked in garlic. One of the four ate it nicely while the other three refused it. They were interested but never actually ate. I also offered some garlic soaked NLS pellets. No success.

I plan on continuing to offer the garlic soaked beefheart assuming they'll eventually get hungry and eat. Is this okay...or are there any tips/tricks to get them to eat?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

I had that problem with my angels I spoiled them. They did start to eat other foods after a few tries.
Scott

Mugwump

When introducing new/different foods, I make it the first meal of the day...they're the hungriest and most likely to at least try it,etc...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Stick to your guns.  Mike feeds only FBWs when he gets a shipment in.  The fish are spoiled.  Quit the FBWs altogether for now and they will get hungry and eat what you provide.

A variety is best.  Right now mine are getting mostly Capt Bob's Teeny Greenie, Dan's CBWs, ground 99% fat free turkey breast, and FBWs as a treat.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Jon I agree with the first feeding in the a.m. procedure. That's how my angel spawn transitioned from bbs to flakes.  These discus are a bit of a challenge. You might say we're having a stand off.  ::)

Liz thanks for the info on their having been raised on FBWs. That explains a lot. I'll check out the black worms and Capt. Bob's food. 

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

They weren't raised on FBWs.  Mike imports fish.  He has an exclusive deal with Jeffery Yang.  Mike feeds FBWs while the fish are in his possession, then he ships them off.  Yours got spoiled.  Also, you have little competition with just 4 fish in a 55.  Mike's tanks are more heavily stocked which makes the fish more aggressive eaters.

PaulineMi

Ok.  Got it.

I will most likely be adding two more discus to this group when Mike gets his next shipment in February.

PaulineMi

I asked Mike Beal what Jeffery Yang feeds the discus before Mike gets them.  It's frozen beef heart. (Mike's a man of few words.)

PaulineMi

I got a pleasant surprise today....Jeffery Yang in Malaysia sent me a nice response to my inquiry as to what kind of food my new discus were raised on. He even gave me the proportions he uses in the mix. 60/40 beefheart/shrimp mixed in with some spirulina.

Yesterday I ordered freeze dried blackworms (from our forum sponsor  ;)) . In the meantime I tried a mixture of beefheart flakes, brine shrimp flakes and spirulina flakes soaked in garlic juice. I did this based on Jeffery 's message. VOILA....sort of. 50% success rate.  The two smaller discus are eating very well.  The bigger two are like the little kid who can't leave the table til they eat their peas. Stubborn Lol.

Jdmcfast

Quote from: b125killer on January 19, 2013, 09:05:46 PM
I had that problem with my angels I spoiled them. They did start to eat other foods after a few tries.
strange my angels will eat anything and everything that hits the water, I've even held flakes just out of the water and they will shoot up and eat them out of my hand out of the water lol
Josh

Mugwump

Quote from: Jdmcfast on January 21, 2013, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: b125killer on January 19, 2013, 09:05:46 PM
strange my angels will eat anything and everything that hits the water, I've even held flakes just out of the water and they will shoot up and eat them out of my hand out of the water lol

Meanie....LOL...feed those guys more...LOL
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

My angels are the same way.  They even chase little pieces of "stuff" that's going up the syphon when I clean their tanks! They haven't figured out that the clear plastic stands between them and those luscious morsels. Lol.

Here are my discus admiring the reflection of their svelte figures....

LizStreithorst

They are VERY nice fish, Pauline.  I still like the dull colored fancy named one best.  The striations on the White Butterfly will fade as it matures.  Did you know that White Butterflys are Pigeon Bloods?  Not a speck of pepper on yours.

And just by the by, not too bad a picture;)

Mugwump

Very nice, you did good.....those are gorgeous Discus......sweeeeeeeet !!
Jon

LizStreithorst

Don't worry about the larger two not eating as soon.  They are larger fish,  they can hold out longer than a small fish.  Just wait, they'll get hungry.  Once they start they'll be vacuuming the bottom of your tank.