• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 30, 2024, 10:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 126
Total: 126

Manacapuru cross

Started by Mugwump, January 19, 2013, 06:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

These are from a F1 Manacapuru X (ManacapuruXPB silver ghost female)
I've separated the more heavily striped fry....some are washed out from the flash, but you can see some shoulder color coming in a some....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

PaulineMi

Nice looking youngsters. How old are they now?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

They're about 3 mos old now, and are quarter to quarter+ sized. About ripe for sale....I have a spawn now of the Sta Isabel/rio Negro crosses...wigglers and fingers crossed....the parents are much more Sta Isabel than the other breeders....they even have developed the red spotting markings on their backs...this could be a real good one....stay tuned, Pauline... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Gee...I feel like a kid in a candy store around here!   ;D

I'll stay tuned and will keep my fingers and toes crossed.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

b125killer

Good luck with the Sta Isabel/rio Negro. Are they parent raising?
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on January 19, 2013, 08:46:32 PM
Good luck with the Sta Isabel/rio Negro. Are they parent raising?

No, they've come close but 'no cigar'...got tired of waiting for them..LOL...I like this pair because they both are strong Sta Isabel in appearance....I'm hoping most the fry are that way too...but knowing the genetic make up of the pair's parents....I'm sure there will be some mix, but what??...It'll at least give me an idea of what the pair inherited...
Jon

PaulineMi

Jon do you own the grandparents? 

Just wondering what differences you may have seen in the Manacapuru, Rio Negros and Sta Isabel strains.  Also how the wilds, wild crosses and domestic lines differ.

I see a bigger, more robust appearance in my wild crosses compared to a dainty, elegance in almost all of my domestics. However they're all young, a a bit over a year to less than a year old.

Mugwump

No, I don't....the fish were bred by Ken Kennedy, then Neil Oyama did the cross. These were imported by a friend. I do know that the PB Silver used in the Rio Negro cross carried an albino gene, and a stripeless gene(Neil's fish). Neither of these two(pair) exhibit a het PB, or a stripeless. That's why I selected them from the others.  They have that nice turned up lip/snout too....Sta Isabel characteristics....it's promising.
   I heartily agree, the shape/finage/coloring/size improves greatly with crossings made to other Angels....
  The pair that Scott has came from the other breeders in that batch. He should see some interesting fry from his spawnings....possibly Albinos,etc.....great genes floating amongst these breeders....time will tell...
Jon

shatanka

Nice Jon! Do the Manacapuru x PB silver ghost   have some green glitter on them?
Can't wait to see the Sta Isabel/Rio Nanay fry! I am staying tuned too! So glad you were able to get a batch from the parents. Were the parents of the Sta Isabel cross from Joel by any chance? 

Mugwump

Quote from: shatanka on January 20, 2013, 08:06:48 AM
Nice Jon! Do the Manacapuru x PB silver ghost   have some green glitter on them?
Can't wait to see the Sta Isabel/Rio Nanay fry! I am staying tuned too! So glad you were able to get a batch from the parents. Were the parents of the Sta Isabel cross from Joel by any chance?

Yes'm, his wife was in the Philippines on a family visit and she had them shipped back....
Jon

shatanka

NICE! You are so lucky to have him as a friend to have gotten some of these. And he is so lucky to have family in the Philippians to have a direct connection to the "man"! lol  I had been in contact with him this past summer about getting some. He didn't have any at the time for sale. But, just these past few weeks some became available and I wish I had the money for shipping which was almost more than the fish. WELL, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Maybe I can get some of these yet! lol