• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 03:58:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,312
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 375
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 379
Total: 379

Water changes automated...

Started by Mugwump, July 18, 2015, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

They were designed more for water changes, and removed when done.....but some had holes drilled to aid the siphon effect...

I have seem many fish rooms (50-200 tanks) set-up for either auto-water changes or as a big recirc. system with things like this as drains.
When I was running a research fish room, we had about 3,000 tanks running this way. When you have that many tanks and there is a way to for the siphons not to run, there will always be something not working right.
When dealing with big numbers of tanks, you may need a more dependable drainage system.

There are also hang-on-the-back boxes (with a siphon tube from the tank and a hole and tubing connector for the drain) made for doing this. With these you can see if the siphon is filled with air.

Ron Sower

Thanks guys. I've been thinking about doing something like this in the future for just a couple tanks for simplicity and less hassle. But I just didn't want to drill any glass.
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron