• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 04:41:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 242
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 244
Total: 244

Mini Putao Danio

Started by BillT, January 18, 2013, 10:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillT

These are some new fish I got today. They are probably not a named species since Dennis and his connections could not ID them. They "scientific" name the wholesaler is using is Devario cf putaoensis. Devario is the genus of the Giant Danio and a lot of other similarly shaped fish. Putao is a town in Myanmar (AKA Burma) and I believe is also where the Danio flagrans came from.

These are small fish and look not yet mature to me. One of the reasons I am interested in them is because they are supposed to be small. As a group they are 1.5" or shorter in length. I am hoping that they don't get much larger.

BillT

I am expecting the look of these to change quite a bit as they mature. The same guys that wholesaled these to the local fish store were also selling them on aquabid and the picture had a lot more color (and I think more red). I would guess the aquabid picture was of an adult from the exporter where they came from (Myanmar).

Mugwump

Nice find, good catch, if they mature to good coloring....good luck
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Hey Bill, what did these guys grow up to look like?  We need an update photo please.

Dennis

BillT

I'll try to take some pictures of them this week. I also want to take pictures of what I think are their sister species, Devario devario. This fish looks a lot like the "mini's", but has a more normal (longer) looking body.

I also got what I think is their sister species, Devario devario, and I want to get some lab guys interested enough in them to do a bone stain on some of each species so we can see if they are lacking some of the vertebrae in D. devario. The bone stain will make the bones red and clear the body tissues. Looks really cool.

Pictures of both of these species will hopefully convince them to stain them.

BallAquatics

I was hoping they would turn out to be Danio flagrans, but if they look like the sister fish of Devario devario instead of Danio choprae I guess that not going to be the case.

When they called them Mini Putao Danio, I assumed they were from Putao township in northern Myanmar.  Of course that's probably what the exporter was hoping for!

Dennis

BillT

I think they are from the Putao township Dennis, but they don't look like flagrans.

Here's a picture I made to compare Devario devario (bottom row) with the "mini's" (bottom row):

I'm think the distance between the operculum (gill cover) and anal fin is longer in the Devario devario fish.
Could be a difference on the number of vertebrae.

Mugwump

Very nice picture detail..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson