• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 11:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 334
Total: 334

Chemicals In Plastic Bags Toxic?

Started by wsantia1, July 10, 2015, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

BillT

Nice find Dennis! Interesting in many ways.

In my testing PVC pipe did not affect either zebrafish embryos, larvae, or adults.
We did not test flexible pipe, but it makes sense that it would be nasty.
PVC pipe glue solvents however are known to cause kidney damage.

Too bad they didn't say who made the bad bags.

When I worked for a company making things out of plastic (plastic molding company) I often heard the same cautions about plastics: watch out for stuff from China, watch out for non-virgin plastics (meaning recycled), lot to lot variation is possible especially from not top notch plastic producers (chemical companies).
In addition, I was told it probably a good idea to avoid plastics with UV inhibitors.

BallAquatics

I'm waiting for them to start testing all the bags used for bread products and other items consumed by humans.  If there was one thing learned from Rachel Carson's 'Silent Spring', the chemical companies learned to keep a much lower profile.....

Dennis

BillT

I now have a pdf of the original paper. Send me a message if you are interested in a copy.

However, the link Dennis posted is probably more easily understood.