• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

June 07, 2024, 11:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,381
  • Total Topics: 18,554
  • Online today: 357
  • Online ever: 930
  • (May 15, 2024, 03:08:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 229
Total: 229

Trying to buy a Discus

Started by LizStreithorst, June 20, 2015, 02:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I thought about doing that earlier.  After I got him tanked I wrote that he arrived with little water in the bag but was alive and would recover.  I'm not sure where the leakage came from.  The bands seamed to be very tight.  But she used 2 ml bags.  With large Discus I use 3 ml bags.  I'll write and tell her.
Always move forward. Never look back.

LizStreithorst

I just did it.  I was very nice.  She did her best, she just isn't aware of the best way.  I wasn't aware of the best way until I was advised.  Just ask George.  My first 2 shipments to him were near disasters.

b125killer

I'm happy that he arrived alive.
Scott

LizStreithorst

Here's a pic of Big Red.  He's an interesting fish.  He's as big and thick as a German fish but with the refinement of Asian fish.  He has some faults.  Overall, the male I got from Beals is a better fish but since he is now sterile he is just a pet.  I'm on the prowl for a very red Red Cover female with a blue face and halo.  In the mean time I have a nice female Cuipeau type I can breed him with.

Mugwump

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

Scott

LizStreithorst

He has been a great disappointment.  After QT he and the female I put him have spawned several times...oops, I should have said that the female has laid eggs several times.  I caught them in the act the first time.  My female laid and he showed interested but ended up eating the eggs.  The other times I would come home or wake up to eggs and every time they turned white.  Today I've witnessed them again.  She lays.  He watches.  Tally wacker has never come down. 

I guess I'll stick my 5 adult Discus in the now empty 75.  Unless I get lucky at NADA  I'l concentrate on my PB juvies.  Thank God for Angels.  Soon I will have as many empty tanks as tanks with fish.  I think I'm going to start pulling spawns :-[

Ron Sower

That's a bummer. I don't know anything about the guy you got him from. Would he have sold you one knowing this?
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

LizStreithorst

I don't know.  The importer was new.  The Exporter won best Discus at an ACA that I went to .  His fish are excellent, but I don't know how honest he is.  The only time I've seen a male Discus act this way was when my male from another importer suffered through the Discus plague and all the medications to fend off the secondary stuff.  Before he was fertile.  After, not.

But I can't point fingers because I don't know.  this male might just be a moron.  He was cheap as dirt considering his quality and I bought him despite the poor communication with the importer, who is lucky that the fish survived her poor bagging and the water leakage.  I made him live and now I'm stuck with him.  He's have been a fine fish for a display tank but I'm a breeder and had a wife ready and waiting for him.

I'll put it behind me but I will never buy fish from this importer again and will have a deep suspicion of the exporter.  Maybe I'll get lucky at NADA.

Ron Sower

Here's to luck for you at NADA!
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

GeorgeG

That's too bad Liz but I know how you feel. I know these two people and only live a hour and a half from me and I have asked for group photos of some fish that I thought might be worth my time. I have only seen a photo of one fish and never get a group photo even though I am told they are taking more photos so I have given up on them. I am suppose to be getting some nice white Butterflies from Sunrise that Tony is ordering for me.

b125killer

Sorry to hear he won't work out for you.
Scott

LizStreithorst

My friend John Nicholson was selling some Brilliants with great potential real cheap because he's going on vacation.  Their daddy won Best Home Bred at the last NADA.  I tried to buy 6.  I could have met him an hour and a half from here on his way to Florida.  But he's be traveling through there at 3 in the afternoon on Friday.  I'd have to leave work at 1 because Nicholson is always early.  I'm already taking off work tomorrow morning to meet the wholesaler to sell my own fish.  I couldn't make myself get in late one day and leave early the next.  Oh well...

LizStreithorst

Remember this fish that disappointed me?  After I did the metro and levavimasol in the community tank I waited a week and put him and his wife in a breeding tank.  After 10 days she spawned.  She kept going up the cone laying eggs.  I saw him make one run as she kept going up over and over again.  Then I got stressed and could no longer watch.  He seemed to have his tallywhacker down.  I know that a male's is small and a female's is bit but his was tiny!  Over 24 hrs later he is fanning and guarding (unlike with Angles, with Discus the male is generally the guardian) and there is only one white egg.

I refuse to get my hope up.  This fish showed no signs of parasites.  I treated him because when I treat one tank I treat all tanks.  If he disappoints me again I will offer him for free as a display fish or slap him on the concrete.  If he is really a daddy I'll keep him.

b125killer

I'll get my hopes up for you. Good luck with him.
Scott