• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 08:52:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Got Wood?

Started by b125killer, June 14, 2015, 07:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b125killer

A friend and I went collecting driftwood. We went to a dam in Wisconsin to find some nice natural driftwood. Found some nice pieces, not really what I was looking for,nothing with a wow factor. also found a nice piece of granite. some of the wood is over 4 foot long with the longest being 6 foot. I'm going to "cure" the longer pieces in a salt bath when I feel up to it. But I did cut some pieces down so I could boil them. It smelt so nice in the house. Once again I was in trouble for my fishy stuff. but I did get some nice pieces for the 40b.

I just got the new wood in the tank. the big chunk has a hole all the way through it. and it still doesn't sink after boiling it for 5 hours. I'm letting it sit in the tank for a few weeks to see what it's going to do. I don't want to find out it's bad wood and there's fish in there. This way I can easily tear apart and clean the tank if need be. 
Scott

Mugwump

Looks nice.....you can always anchor it to a piece of slate beneath the sand...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

b125killer

If it doesn't sink on it's own I'll anchor it and hide the anchor. For now I'll let it sit. I'm more interested to see what the wood will look like in a few weeks. I'm also going to start working on the 3d background see if I can pull all this together.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on June 14, 2015, 08:06:53 PM
If it doesn't sink on it's own I'll anchor it and hide the anchor. For now I'll let it sit. I'm more interested to see what the wood will look like in a few weeks. I'm also going to start working on the 3d background see if I can pull all this together.

How much room front to back with the back wall installed??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Quote from: b125killer on June 14, 2015, 08:06:53 PM

I'm anxious to see your tank when you get it all together.  It's going to look so cool.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

b125killer

There's about 3.5 inches from the back wall to the background. Just enough room to fit my hand in.

I'm a little aanxious to get it set up myself. I still need to patch some of the background, also want to get the wood to sink before I get everything together.
Scott

Mugwump

Quote from: b125killer on June 15, 2015, 06:54:09 PM
There's about 3.5 inches from the back wall to the background. Just enough room to fit my hand in.

I'm a little aanxious to get it set up myself. I still need to patch some of the background, also want to get the wood to sink before I get everything together.

What I really was wondering is how much room you have from the front of the wall to the front glass..???.....how big a piece of wood will fit and look right??
Jon

b125killer

From the center there's about 13 inches, from the side there's about 5 inches. There's plenty of room for more wood. I'm thinking of putting anubias in there for the plants.  I have a led light on that tank that isn't good for plants. Plus the anubias will look good on the wood.
Scott