• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 09:26:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Strawberries.....yum

Started by Mugwump, June 09, 2015, 06:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

With all the rain and mild weather our Strawberries are coming on strong. We're freezing them already too......yum yum....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Here it's my blueberries.  I can't eat them all by going out and popping them in my mouth.  I'm going to buy some heavy cream, pick a mess of them, put 'em in the fridge,  and have blueberries and cream as a late night snack.  I can think of nothing that makes my mouth water more.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

Our blueberries(planted last year) are doing anything yet, black/red raspberries are blooming tho....we like them all over cereal/ice cream and pies/cobblers.......a crusted strawberry pie is my favorite...forget the rhubarb....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ilroost

My cherry tree is loaded. Picked all i want, still full. Looks like the birds are gonna love me

LizStreithorst

No way a cherry tree to produce down south here.  I miss two fruits that grow up north.  Sweet cherries and those wonderful, tender, delectable raspberries.  Come to think of it the concord grapes were a big turn on, too.  Oh well, I have persimmons and y'all don't ;)

Mugwump

I grew up on my Mom's/Grandma's persimmon pudding, with home made whipped cream on top....MMMmmmm.....I know Liz, they have a wonderful flavor when cooked right....if we get the black raspberries like we did before that horrible winter....we'll send ya some frozen, they should be thawed by the time you get them.....then you can make a nice big cobbler....num num num  ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

I could deal with a gift like that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  I've never eaten a cooked persimmon.  I like them fresh and soft right off the tree.  The Japanese varieties are the best ones.  They are best when picked soft but some people like to eat them while they're still hard.  The Japanese varieties don't make you pucker when they're picked before full ripeness.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 09, 2015, 08:20:20 PM
I could deal with a gift like that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.  I've never eaten a cooked persimmon.  I like them fresh and soft right off the tree.  The Japanese varieties are the best ones.  They are best when picked soft but some people like to eat them while they're still hard.  The Japanese varieties don't make you pucker when they're picked before full ripeness.

I'll see if I can dig up the recipe for you....
Jon

Mugwump

1/2 c. butter or 1 stick butter
2 eggs
2 c. persimmon pulp (a little more doesn't hurt)(use more)
1 tsp. soda, dissolved in 1/4 c. hot water
1 tsp. baking powder
3 c. milk
2 c. sugar
1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Let cool. Beat sugar and eggs until creamy. Add persimmon pulp and butter. Blend flour and milk (like cake). Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

It doesn't look like cake...more like a solidified pudding....
Jon

Rjb3

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 09, 2015, 07:36:15 PM
Here it's my blueberries.  I can't eat them all by going out and popping them in my mouth.  I'm going to buy some heavy cream, pick a mess of them, put 'em in the fridge,  and have blueberries and cream as a late night snack.  I can think of nothing that makes my mouth water more.

Blueberries are brain food, ya know.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Rjb3 on June 09, 2015, 08:39:23 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 09, 2015, 07:36:15 PM

Blueberries are brain food, ya know.

No, I didn't know.  I need to eat more blueberries ;D

Rjb3

Yup, they're good for the neurons.

ilroost

Jon, are you getting any raspberries yet? Got some growing, but don't seem to be doing as well as last year

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on June 09, 2015, 09:13:38 PM
Jon, are you getting any raspberries yet? Got some growing, but don't seem to be doing as well as last year

Did you cut em back??.....last year was a bust here too...but looks like something this year...blossoms now  ;D
Jon