• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 07:50:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,313
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 266
Total: 267

Fingers crossed.....

Started by BallAquatics, June 04, 2015, 10:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallAquatics

Got a box of these guys going to El Paso TX  Should have been delivered yesterday with the rest of Monday's fish but you know how that goes.....

Was 71F when they went out for delivery this morning, forecast to be 100F later today.

Dennis

Mugwump

....ouch, that's hot.....I took my basic at Ft. Bliss....May, June, and July.....I know that heat well..... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Good luck.  We've all been there.  Not fun.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Postal Service says they were delivered almost 4 hours ago at 10:52AM, so I'm thinking no news is good news.  They were in a nice tight box with great insulation so as long as they didn't set out in the sun they should be fine.  It would be nice to get an alls well confirmation though.....

Dennis

PaulineMi

Fingers crossed that all goes well...or has already gone well.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

I just got a confirmation note on my shipping from the other day.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D....hoping you get yours pretty quick now too..
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Just heard from my buyer.....

QuotePerfect delivery and all the fish appear very healthy and pink!!  Thanks for the extra two pp danios and the food too!!  I received them thursday (3 days delivery time) and the box wasn't even warm when USPS dropped it off.  No problems.  Great job, and I left feedback. 

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 05, 2015, 12:18:39 PM
Just heard from my buyer.....

QuotePerfect delivery and all the fish appear very healthy and pink!!  Thanks for the extra two pp danios and the food too!!  I received them thursday (3 days delivery time) and the box wasn't even warm when USPS dropped it off.  No problems.  Great job, and I left feedback. 

Dennis

;D   
Jon

BallAquatics

Mugwump

Jon

LizStreithorst

Good job, Dennis.  Did you ship an a manufactured  styro or  home made one?

BallAquatics

Thanks Liz.  It was home made.  I use 1" polystyrene sheeting along with a drywall square and long bladed utility knife to build my boxes.  They are cut straight and true and being just a tiny bit over-sized, they fit together very tightly when all boxed up.

It took me about 10 years of trial & error to perfect my box method, but I've been using this latest version for the past 2 or 3 years now with great success, (knock on wood).

I think both Bill and Pauline have received fish from me packed this way.  I believe the box I sent to Jon last year, (the only box of fish I shipped last year), was made up of scraps of pink 1/2" foam I had around as I was out of my normal white 1" polystyrene.

Dennis

ilroost

Nothing like a happy ending. Congrats, great job

LizStreithorst

Hmmm, I didn't even know what a dry wall square was until I looked it up :-[  I need to buy one.  I just use a normal square and my results vary :-[

The last time I shipped I used the method used by a guy who is Lotsof fish on Aquaforums.  It calls for insulating the homemade styro with cellulose insulation to fill up the empty spaces. It worked better than I expected.  I sent to up north where it was chilly and since it was a homemade box I used 2 heat packs.  2 was overkill.  The water temperature was 93 degrees when the fish arrived.  It was Discus so they could take it but I won't forget that with the cellulose insulation in the box I can use 1 less heat pack than I would using plastic peanuts of wadded up newspaper. 

You worry about too warm and I worry about too cold, but in both cases it's all about insulation.

BallAquatics

Well you certainly won't go wrong boxing fish like Pete Mang, (Lotsoffish).  Pete had a run of some pretty rare, at that time anyway, Danios back in 2008 & 2009.  I bought several boxes from him and got to know him pretty well, (his website has an article about spawning Danios written by yours truly).

I think you will find a drywall square and long blade utility knife both worth their weight in gold when it comes to cutting insulation for your boxes.

Quote from: ilroost on June 05, 2015, 01:56:36 PM
Nothing like a happy ending. Congrats, great job

Thanks!  It certainly made my day!

Dennis