• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:59:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,318
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 306
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 305
Total: 305

Peppering in Discus

Started by PaulineMi, January 12, 2013, 08:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

In preparing a tank for discus I've read that it's best to a avoid dark substrate and background....something I usually do with my tanks.  So to avoid "peppering" the tank will have a blue background and light tan colored craftboard under the tank. 

My question is about peppering. Will the light tank colors prevent this and/or is it a genetic issue with certain lines or colors?  I'm pretty sure I know of three discus colors I'd like. Is there anything to watch out for in particular colors while I'm deciding what else I'd  like?
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

LizStreithorst

The only strains that show pepper are the Pigeon blood strains.  All the other strains have bars which come and go according to the mood of the fish.  A none Pigeon Blood will show it's bars more often with a dark background, but this isn't really considered a fault as it is in PB's.  These days, the higher quality Asian imports show almost no pepper at all, maybe just a slight amount in the area of the nose and mouth.  The German strains show a bit more.  What strains are you thinking of?  I will likely know if they are Pigeon based or not.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Basically I'd like a red, yellow and blue discus and one or two others that I haven't decided on yet. There are so many with an unbelievable number of names.  :o Plus I have a concern that if I choose something that's exceptionally pretty it will have a price tag that's also exceptional.

I've found these in my initial search...

Yellow - Golden snakeskin
Red - Red melon (which I really like)
Blue - Blue turquoise

My main goal is a tank with correctly formed discus with good coloring.  I'm still working on getting kind of familiar with color and pattern combinations that I like.

BTW....My local LFS sells Hans discus.

When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

It shouldn't cost more if it's not new and rare.  Red Melons are Pigeon based.  Hans sells them as Marlbough Reds and Fire Reds.  There are Asian fish that are similar but Golden based (or at least the Pigeon in them is so diluted that they show no pepper)  They are called Red Gold Melons and 3R2s. 

As a rule most of us don't buy from LFS.  LFS prices are high because they need to add their mark up, they usually get the left over fish becuase the majority of people buying from them don't know a good Discus from a bad one, and the fewer hands the fish go through the less the possibility of cross contamination.  Of course, if you have your fish shipped directly from the supplier you have to pay a bundle for shipping.  FedEx Priority Overnight ain't cheap.

Where do you live?  I may know a good breeder or importer close.

PaulineMi

I won't buy from my LFS.  Especially something like a discus! 

I live in central Michigan.  I've had angelfish shipped overnight a few times to the UPS service center instead of having them delivered to my house or a UPS store. That way I could be there as soon as the center opened and pick up my fish. Obviously the closer the shipper the better the shipping costs.

I appreciate your help Liz.

LizStreithorst

There used to be a great guy in the Detroit area but he opened a fish store and the ecomomy there did him in.

Check out this guy http://www.centralohiodiscus.com/  His quality is excellent, the fish are clean, he's honest.

PaulineMi

Would the Michigan person be Cary Strong, Great Lakes Discus? I found him on Facebook!

Thanks for the contact for Central Ohio Discus.  I'll check out his website.

LizStreithorst