• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:28:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,321
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 339
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 335
Total: 337

Windows 10...

Started by Mugwump, June 01, 2015, 02:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 02, 2015, 09:13:21 PM
I thought that one would appear after New Faithful shut herself down to install an update.  No icon appeared, thank God.

I want someone or sometwo of the smart people to install Linxus.  If they love it I'll try to do it while shaking in my boots and peeing my pants.  Dennis, does it have photo ware that's as easy to use as the old Micorsoft Office Picture app that came with XP?  It's the only one I'm smart enough to use.  Even Photo Bucket is over my head :-[

Liz, bottom right corner of your screen......it looks like a little window logo....four squares together like a flag....put your mouse over it.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 02, 2015, 09:13:21 PM
Dennis, does it have photo ware that's as easy to use as the old Micorsoft Office Picture app that came with XP?

There are literally hundreds of free graphics applications for Linux.  I use GIMP.  While it does far more than I need, I find it very easy to do what I do need it to do.....

42 of the Best Free Linux Graphics Software ==>> http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/2008091312364896/Graphics.html

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Dennis, if I had more confidence in myself I would try it, but I'm too afraid of screwing New Faithful up and being at a loss as to how to unscrew her up.  BTW, the dread icon suddenly appeared ::)

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 03, 2015, 07:51:44 AM
Dennis, if I had more confidence in myself I would try it, but I'm too afraid of screwing New Faithful up and being at a loss as to how to unscrew her up.  BTW, the dread icon suddenly appeared ::)

he he...... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on June 03, 2015, 07:51:44 AM
Dennis, if I had more confidence in myself I would try it, but I'm too afraid of screwing New Faithful up.....

Liz, if I ever get down that way, I'll bring a hard drive with me and we can install Linux without worry of harming your original disk with Windows.

Dennis

LizStreithorst

You're a darlin' Dennis.  I learn easily when I can watch.  I have a problem with written instructions especially when I fear that they will be over my head.  My head starts to swim like it did when I was learning to read as a kid.  I think it has to do with being dyslexic back when they didn't know what it was.  Back then they thought that I was stupid.  It took me a very long time for me come to know that I am not stupid, that in fact I am quite bright in my own way. 

You should vacation in New Orleans.  May be go the the Jazz Festival...I'm just a 2 hour drive from there.   

BallAquatics

Liz I'm sure I could teach you to be a computer wizard in no time at all!!!

Windows 10 Upgrade Possibilities Explained  ==>>  https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/06/03/windows-10-upgrade-possibilities.aspx

Dennis

wsantia1

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 03, 2015, 05:07:48 PM

Windows 10 Upgrade Possibilities Explained  ==>>  https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/06/03/windows-10-upgrade-possibilities.aspx

Dennis

I don't like what I am seeing so far.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.....I'm not liking some of what I'm reading....antivirus proggies may work??...uninstall them before doing the '10' upgrade....basic edition, you have no control over updates???

Eliminating :
    Windows Media Center
    DVD playback
    Desktop gadgets
    Preinstalled games
    Floppy drive support
    Windows Live Essentials (Windows Essentials)
    Windows Updates
    Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode

Compatibility....
What can be done about compatibility issues?
Da Costa recommended checking hardware and software vendors for the latest updates before performing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft's "reservation app" may indicate the incompatibilities in advance, but users "can always run Windows Update after installing Windows 10 and download the latest drivers," he explained. He wrote an article on how to install Windows 10 drivers at this page....

So a lot of apps/proggies won't work but not their problem??...we have to check if what we use works or not?....wonderful, as usual...

I use 'Open Office'...I'm not worried about losing old MSOffice junk... ;D

I'll hold out as long as possible before upgrading.... ;D   
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on June 03, 2015, 05:36:02 PM

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.....I'm not liking some of what I'm reading....antivirus proggies may work??...uninstall them before doing the '10' upgrade....basic edition, you have no control over updates???

Eliminating :
    Windows Media Center
    DVD playback
    Desktop gadgets
    Preinstalled games
    Floppy drive support
    Windows Live Essentials (Windows Essentials)
    Windows Updates
    Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode

Compatibility....
What can be done about compatibility issues?
Da Costa recommended checking hardware and software vendors for the latest updates before performing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft's "reservation app" may indicate the incompatibilities in advance, but users "can always run Windows Update after installing Windows 10 and download the latest drivers," he explained. He wrote an article on how to install Windows 10 drivers at this page....

So a lot of apps/proggies won't work but not their problem??...we have to check if what we use works or not?....wonderful, as usual...

I use 'Open Office'...I'm not worried about losing old MSOffice junk... ;D

I'll hold out as long as possible before upgrading.... ;D   

Me too. Better yet, I'll do a dual boot on my desktops with Linux. I may upgrade with the laptop since I don't have much on it. It is my web surfing machine and it is running on Windows 7 home Premium SP1.
Willie

BallAquatics

If you have the memory & disk space you might be better off installing Virtual Box and running a copy of Linux that way.  You don't have to worry about messing up your base Windows installation with a virtual machine and it's really pretty painless to set-up.

I use it just the opposite way with Windows running as a virtual machine on my Linux system.  Makes it easy to trouble shoot client systems and I can have multiple versions of Windows available.

Just a thought.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 04, 2015, 10:34:57 AM
If you have the memory & disk space you might be better off installing Virtual Box and running a copy of Linux that way.  You don't have to worry about messing up your base Windows installation with a virtual machine and it's really pretty painless to set-up.

I use it just the opposite way with Windows running as a virtual machine on my Linux system.  Makes it easy to trouble shoot client systems and I can have multiple versions of Windows available.

Just a thought.....

Dennis

and a good thought too..thanks Dennis, I'll read up on that...
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on June 04, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
Quote from: BallAquatics on June 04, 2015, 10:34:57 AM

Just a thought.....

Dennis

I have more than enough of both so that's what I'll do too.  ;D ;D ;D
Willie

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on June 04, 2015, 12:20:19 PM

Quote from: wsantia1 on June 04, 2015, 01:39:40 PM
I have more than enough of both so that's what I'll do too.  ;D ;D ;D

Cool   8) 8) 8)

Let me know if you run into any snags and I'll see if I can help out.

Dennis