• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 10:44:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 291
Total: 293

Windows 10...

Started by Mugwump, June 01, 2015, 02:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

Just noticed that little icon on the right side of my taskbar on my laptop.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

BillT

I have some CAD and 3D printing programs that only run on windows.
Mostly I do Macs.
For a few special things I am using Linux as a learning experience.

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on June 01, 2015, 03:31:28 PM
Not everyone finds Linux an easy switch tho, Dennis......the learning curve, after using Windows for many years, gets discombobulated a bit... ;D

Getting it installed on your computer is the biggest hurdle.  After that, it works pretty much the same as all the rest of the graphical user interfaces.  The command line is definitely different from Windows, but how many typical users ever go there.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 02, 2015, 10:41:54 AM
Quote from: Mugwump on June 01, 2015, 03:31:28 PM
Not everyone finds Linux an easy switch tho, Dennis......the learning curve, after using Windows for many years, gets discombobulated a bit... ;D

Getting it installed on your computer is the biggest hurdle.  After that, it works pretty much the same as all the rest of the graphical user interfaces.  The command line is definitely different from Windows, but how many typical users ever go there.....

Dennis

I'm wondering Dennis, can the proggie names be tweaked/renamed something more familiar???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Not sure I follow..... many are called the same, Firefox is still Firefox, Google Chrome is still Google Chrome.....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 02, 2015, 12:37:57 PM
Not sure I follow..... many are called the same, Firefox is still Firefox, Google Chrome is still Google Chrome.....

Dennis

Of course, but the apps for other proggies/icons aren't named with familiar titles..... LibreOffice, Rythmbox, Shotwell,
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Well if you use a desktop that lets you put shortcuts there you can call the software whatever you wish.....  just like in Windows.

If you use a desktop like Unity, it only shows the icons without any application names, but it's certainly not hard to figure out what does what.

Dennis

Mugwump

Yes, I guess you can mouse over too....?....I may take the plunge if I can repartition for it....
Jon

BallAquatics

I would suggest starting out with a distro like Ubuntu Mate (https://ubuntu-mate.org/), or Linux Lite (https://www.linuxliteos.com/).  Both of these have an interface similar to what you are used to with Windows.

The standard version of Ubuntu switched from Gnome to the Unity desktop back in 2011 and throughly pissed off the Ubuntu followers in a very similar fashion to how Microsoft did with Windows 8.  They have listened to the users and fixed much of Unity, but it's still very different from what most are used to using.

I would also recommend that you get an inexpensive external usb hard drive and create a Windows system restore image before trying to run two operating systems on the same computer.  It's simply cheap insurance for when things go wrong.  It  should be available under the maintenance menu in both Win 7 & 8.

Computers are just like any other tool.  When I first brought home my craftsman table saw I couldn't build cabinetry or fine furniture.  With trial and error, and lots of practice, I learned how to build what I wanted.  It was the same with my first computer.  I wasn't building websites and writing custom software in just a couple of days.

I encourage everyone to experiment with their computer system.  It's very rewarding and keeps our minds sharp.  And to those who say, "I can't do that!", my response is that we all learn to do what we really want to do.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I'll sit here and wait for the smart people I trust to try it first and tell me how wonderful it is before I give it a try.  I'm only good at new computer things when I'm backed into a corner with nobody to help me but myself.  I dread the new Windows 10.  Thank God the icon has not appeared on mine yet.  What about virus protection?  Will MalwareBytes run on it?
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I think my biggest question about the 'free' Windows 10 upgrade would be what if it sucks???  Can I go back to a usable Windows 7 or is that option gone once I run the update???  I would want assurance that I can go back if 10 turns out to be just as big a stinker as 8.

FWIW, I have zero experience with Windows 8 other than playing with the free trial MS sent out.  I don't know of any local business running it.....

Dennis

BillT

Dennis, its for that reason that I am waiting to hear how it goes from someone else.

Mugwump

Uh Oh....I have the '10' icon...... ???
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on June 02, 2015, 08:52:36 PM
Uh Oh....I have the '10' icon...... ???

Doesn't it make you feel nice and secure that they have a back door into your computer to do whatever they wish  LOL

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I thought that one would appear after New Faithful shut herself down to install an update.  No icon appeared, thank God.

I want someone or sometwo of the smart people to install Linxus.  If they love it I'll try to do it while shaking in my boots and peeing my pants.  Dennis, does it have photo ware that's as easy to use as the old Micorsoft Office Picture app that came with XP?  It's the only one I'm smart enough to use.  Even Photo Bucket is over my head :-[
Always move forward. Never look back.