• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 11:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 321
Total: 323

Windows 10...

Started by Mugwump, June 01, 2015, 02:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Is set for distribution in July....they have reservations too......folks with Win 7/Win 8 will get an option for an upgrade.

I'm wondering if it's worth it.....looks mostly like 'bells & whistles' ???
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BillT

Let meknow what you think of it if you get it.
I have a Windows 8 machine I am annoyed with.

Mugwump

Quote from: BillT on June 01, 2015, 02:48:50 PM
Let meknow what you think of it if you get it.
I have a Windows 8 machine I am annoyed with.

LOL...I was kinda hoping that you'd try it first.... ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

If they'd just take XP and called it windows 10 I'd be a happy camper.  They weren't smart enough to realize that they had a good thing with XP.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

I can't understand why anyone who is not tied to a legacy Windows application would spend money on yet another version of Windows.....  even Apple has switched to a Unix derivation.

Sometimes in a business environment you just can't get away from Windows easily, but at home, it's a no brainer to switch to a Linux distribution.  With over 330,000 open source software packages, it's highly unlikely that you can't find software to do what you want.

For years I was a major supporter of Microsoft in light of all that Bill Gates had done to advance desktop computing, but in 2010 after he turned the company over to the Harvard money men I got fed up.  Five years later and I'm running 2 business' with Debian Linux and it's the best thing I could have done.....  looking back, I wished I had switched over earlier.

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on June 01, 2015, 03:28:08 PM
I can't understand why anyone who is not tied to a legacy Windows application would spend money on yet another version of Windows.....  even Apple has switched to a Unix derivation.

Sometimes in a business environment you just can't get away from Windows easily, but at home, it's a no brainer to switch to a Linux distribution.  With over 330,000 open source software packages, it's highly unlikely that you can't find software to do what you want.

For years I was a major supporter of Microsoft in light of all that Bill Gates had done to advance desktop computing, but in 2010 after he turned the company over to the Harvard money men I got fed up.  Five years later and I'm running 2 business' with Debian Linux and it's the best thing I could have done.....  looking back, I wished I had switched over earlier.

Dennis

Not everyone finds Linux an easy switch tho, Dennis......the learning curve, after using Windows for many years, gets discombobulated a bit... ;D
Jon

LizStreithorst

Exactly.  I have too great a fear that I'd not me smart enough to figure it out.
Always move forward. Never look back.

ghonk

How much does it cost,is it a lot more then windows.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 01, 2015, 04:03:03 PM
How much does it cost,is it a lot more then windows.

Free....
Jon

ghonk

Sorry,i was talking about Linux.
So the windows upgrade is free,i will let my brother know since he has 7.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on June 01, 2015, 05:32:53 PM

Linux...............FREE.... ;D
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on June 01, 2015, 05:36:29 PM
Quote from: ghonk on June 01, 2015, 05:32:53 PM

Linux...............FREE.... ;D

Really,now i have to see what it is. :)   

Mugwump

Jon

Mugwump

Jon

BallAquatics