• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:09:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 342
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 378
Total: 378

Water Transfer Pump

Started by PaulineMi, January 12, 2013, 01:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

So when its time for the discus to go in the tank I should have it set up with the brand new filter, remove the driftwood, sterilize the tank, plant and heater and add fresh water the day before their arrival?

It will be the big daily water changes that will prevent the ammonia and nitrites from building up. So as the discus grow and get older does the amount of water being changed daily get somewhat reduced? Or would big water changes get done a few times per week eventually leading to perhaps 50% a few times or twice per week? That's how I do my angel tanks.

This is so counter intuitive. Another learning curve is coming on. I'm glad that the tank they'll get is the one that's closest to the hose and drain and that I have the water pump!
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

PaulineMi

Thanks Frank.  I thought of the wet dry vac as an option. I'll keep it in mind.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

It's a judgement call.  I admit to using cycled filters, but  I buy new fish rarely and know who I'm buying from.  I still recognize the fact that I'm taking a risk.

With these being your fisrt Discus it would be wise to go by the book.  Some people cycle the filters by adding a small amount of ammonia every day until the filter is cycled.  I understand it takes about 3 weeks.  I always just did huge daily WCs until the filters caught up.  I can do that because my water is cheap.

I would go BB for the first week or two, then introduce a sacraficial lamb.  If you see no problems in the fish for another week or two then you'll know it's safe to add your plant and other fish to the Discus tank.

If you buy juvies daily WC is importent becuase to get proper growth and shape you need to feed a lot.  You don't want old poop and left over food breaking down ruining your water quality.  If you buy adults or sub adults (more expensive) the hard work has already been done for you.  Depending on the stocking level 50% two or three times weekly should be enough.

Forgive my ignorance, I only know Discus, but is a Clown Pleco the same as a Clown Loach?
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Raising young discus sounds a lot like what I did when I raised my angel spawn from eggs to quarter sized little fish.  I think I've got it now.

It won't be a problem regarding adding additional fish because this will be a discus only tank.

A clown pleco is a different species of plecostomus, not a loach.  It's kind of like a bristlenose pleco only it's useless.  Hides all the time, doesn't eat algae, has to have wood to eat and poops a lot.  I've had the dufus for about 8 years...

LizStreithorst

Sounds like the Clown Pleco will be fine.  Many plecos will attach to the Discus' sides and feed off the slime coat.  They say Clown loaches aren't good, becuase they grow big, are very active at night, and disturb the Discus' sleep (no kidding.  that's what they say)

Raising baby Discus is the same as raising baby Angels but with less margin for error.  Angels are tough little buggers.  It is suggested that people new to Discus start with sub adults.   It was what I did.  But you ain't no fish newbie.  If you're up to the challenge of raising up youngun's, go for it.  There's a lot of satisfaction in raising a group to adulthood.

Always move forward. Never look back.