• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 01:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,322
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 310
Total: 311

Water Transfer Pump

Started by PaulineMi, January 12, 2013, 01:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I have a Wayne self priming transfer pump.  I've emptied a 55 gallon tank and have removed the substrate.  However there is a very fine layer of silt and sand remaining on the bottom and I'm wondering if transferring it out will ruin the pump? I can swish it around by adding water, draining and repeating as needed.

I've removed all that I can by hand. I'll have to ask hubby to help carry the tank outdoors if it has to be rinsed clean with the hose. Of course, being winter the hose is drained and put away and I dread dragging all of this outside. But..... gotta do whatcha gotta do.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

As long as you're adding more water, and not picking stones or anything hard...it'll work fine. You can clean it that way too...flush well and pump out the gook, then repeat....no need to take it outside, if you're careful with the initial chunky debris...fill it, let it sit and settle out, then tidy up the bottom....yada yada...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

P4Angels

That is when I use one of these:

DuraHeat Plastic Siphon Pump - 2.98 each

Link:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100372238/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=syphen&storeId=10051#.UPHAzW-_F8E

We also use them to clean out breeders daily to do that 10% water change.  I add a extra piece of hose to the end and run it to a bucket then use the transfer bump out the the yard.
"'I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.' ." - unknown

No tanks or fish just good friends and allot of fun...

LizStreithorst

Sand and silt are easy on a pump.  Just add more water and suck it out.  Like Mug said, it's the big hard stuff that hurts a pump.
Always move forward. Never look back.

PaulineMi

Okay....thanks everyone.  Back to work I go. 

Liz....I'm cleaning up this tank to have it ready for discus.   ;D
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

LizStreithorst

I figured as much.  You have no idea how much I am looking forward to this. 

PaulineMi

Cool.  It will be fun to share to joy.

PaulineMi

The pump efficiently cleaned out the tank. What a treat compared to the amount of work I used to put into totally emptying a tank. I even found a foot operated on/off switch to plug the pump into that kept my hands free. Eeeeezzzzzeeeeee.  ;)

So now the tank is refilled with about 1/3 old water, 2/3 fresh water, a potted sword plant and a good sized hunk of driftwood that's home to a clown pleco. The original HOB filter is running in the tank for now. Next will be adding the "Hamburg Mittenfilter" when it arrives.

Mugwump

Nice...did you order the corner type, or the end barrier type??
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

I ordered the end barrier type.  Actually the kit that includes the lift tube.

Mugwump

Great....let us know how it works for you. Pics too, of the setup, after reading about Dennis using them ,I'm interested in perhaps trying one...??
Jon

PaulineMi

Frank The Plumber

I use a wet dry vac on the remains. Works fast and safe on the pumps.
I have 100 fish tanks, but two pairs of shoes. The latter is proof that I am still relatively sane. The question is...relative to what?

Jdmcfast

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 12, 2013, 08:26:32 PM
I ordered the end barrier type.  Actually the kit that includes the lift tube.

Who did you order from? Swiss?
Josh

LizStreithorst

It's safest to start a brand new Discus tank with a sterilized tank, filter, and 100% new water.  This is to prevent cross contamination in case your fish are immune to something that the new Discus have never been exposed to so are suceptable to.  It doesn't happen often, usually when there is cross contamination it's the other way around.  The new fish carry something that the exsisting fish have never been exposed to, but it does happen.

As far as plants, we usually give them a quick dunk in a mild pp solution and replant them in fresh substrate