• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 07:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,323
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 387
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 215
Total: 215

I need to rant

Started by LizStreithorst, May 27, 2015, 06:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

I'm so tired of pissing and moaning, but here I go again.  I actualy had to drive into the shop to rant.  I need to get it out!

I got home from work and set up New Faithful again and tried to get into safe mode. Dallas said that I should reboot and click F8 over and over again when the screen said Dell.  It did not work.  Mug, you have the same computer as I have.  Can you get into safe mode doing that?

It was raining hard and the internet went out.  When it came back on I searched for how to access safe mode.  I tried it another way and that didn't work either.  There were several ways to do it and I wanted to try another way but the internet went out again even though it had stopped raining.  I waited and waited and waited and finally called Hughes net.  After a bunch of rigamorole the verdict was that I needed an new modem and that it would cost $100.  I said no, that I would switch to another service.  After a long wait the price came down to $50.  I still said no.

I was wanting to switch of something better anyway but there were problems with that, too.  They sent me a fax so I could fill out forums but only 5 of 11 came down.  By then I was so focused on poor sick New Faithful that I didn't follow up :-[

So, for the forseeable future I'll only be talking to y'all while I'm at work.  When I'm working I'm not chatty other than with real people.

Muggers, please tell me how you get into safe mode.  I could bring New Faithful to work and fix her here if I could get her into safe mode.  If I can't do it Dallas told me to call him.  He said that he would give me the name of a smart computer guy to take her to.

End of rant.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I don't wait for the 'Dell' logo.....hit the power button, and start hitting F8.....tap tap tap, etc....you should get it ....don't give up...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

I'm quite sure I did that but I'll go home and try again.  I swear, I'm going to drink myeslf to death if this frustration keeps coming at every turn.  I hate to call Dallas back and tell him that I have failed, but I will if I have to.  He told me to.

wsantia1

Liz, try holding down the ctrl key while you press the f8 key as you boot up. I did it and my laptop went right into the safe mode screen.
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on May 27, 2015, 07:43:38 PM
Liz, try holding down the ctrl key while you press the f8 key as you boot up. I did it and my laptop went right into the safe mode screen.

Actually, there are (5) ways to get to safe mode on a Dell with Win 8............just print this and try a couple....Willie's right tho "shift" F8 is one of them...

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN151713/EN
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Thanks gentlemen.  I'll try again after work today.

LizStreithorst

I got her fixed.  Nothing anyone suggested worked.  I had one badass virus.  I wasn't able to access safe mode after trying several ways.  Then after bringing New Faithful to work with me I found that the reason I could not connect to the internet at home was not the fault of my modem at home.  It was New Faithful herself!  I tried lots of things that all failed.  If I'd been computer smart I may have done better.  I ended up doing a complete system restore.  First thing after that I downloaded and ran MalwareBytes.  At least she's working and is no longer a thorn in my side.

Mugwump

Sounds wonderful...... ;D    good for you...
Jon

BallAquatics

Great job Liz!  I knew you could do it all along.   ;)

Dennis

wsantia1

Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

LizStreithorst

Necessity is a Mother for sure :P  I'm about sure that I wouldn't have had to do a complete system restore if I knew what I was doing,  I tried to save files but everything was corrupted.  I wanted her to work so I did what I had to do.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2015, 05:33:17 PM
Necessity is a Mother for sure :P  I'm about sure that I wouldn't have had to do a complete system restore if I knew what I was doing,  I tried to save files but everything was corrupted.  I wanted her to work so I did what I had to do.

...just be glad that you haven't it long enough to load it up with 'goodies'..... ;D 
Jon

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on May 28, 2015, 06:05:41 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 28, 2015, 05:33:17 PM

...just be glad that you haven't it long enough to load it up with 'goodies'..... ;D

Exactly what I thought when I couldn't save my files.  New faithful even works a home!  My modem here is fine.  Shame that  at the end of the billing period Hughes net will dump me.  I figured it was their fault.  TEC.com is in the works.  It won't happen overnight :'(

LizStreithorst

I'm starting to believe that New Faithful is a lemon.    She has gotten slower than Old Faithful was and once again will download nothing  Surely I haven't f'd her up a second time.  I'm trying to down load Team Viewer this time.  I expect it will take a month before I get a message that the file is corrupt or the download failed.  Should I take her back, shoot her, or shoot myself?

LizStreithorst

No joy with Team Veiwer :(  Somethin' ain't right.