• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

The clean gene project

Started by ghonk, May 19, 2015, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 19, 2015, 04:43:58 PM
One thing i do know for sure,my pair is 100% stupid.They layed again this morning,on the mostly algae covered glass,right next to the slate.
Many of the eggs not sticking and hitting the bottom,then they started picking at each other to see who was going to guard them/or eat them maybe.
So i just split the tank with an egg crate,only thing that did was freak out the male,and now so far the female is mostly ignoring the eggs.

Sad, some pairs never get the hang of it right.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Pairs that stupid aren't worth the effort unless you are doing it for your own satisfaction of having been able to do it.

'Most nobody agrees with me, and one day I may change my mind, but I think that any fish that is too stupid to raise it's own kids is not worth bothering with.
Always move forward. Never look back.

ghonk

Well i have no doubts that they have have wild blood in them,and would bet it's peruvian and probably Rio Nanay.
You are NEVER going to find domestic stock with those yellow/gold spots.
Compare pics of Rio Nanays to the color in the Dantums,very simuilar.
Can i prove it,of course not.But they are  good enough for me,i love them.
Body shape,finage and color are as good as or better then most domestics,in my opinion.
And they are ALBINOS  ;D.
I guess you didn't like them as much,you got rid of your's.What were you expecting them to be when  you bought them?   

They are what they are,are they from the same stock as the guy who developed them.YES,i don't think there is any doubt about that,they haven't been passed around like a joint at a dead concert,mine haven't been anyway.No SMOKEY gene,get it. ;)

Mugwump

I didn't buy them...and expected nothing....no interest in them after I saw them really....hey, if you like them, great...go for it...wasn't my thing..

Sure they're from the guy, who got them from a guy, and sent them to David, who got some to Carol...Rio Nanay appearing?...agreed....after that ??....nothings proven as to what's in them....David may still have the std fin stock from Carol....that she has multi-hets from.....??....hey bro, you're the one that wanted 'pure' stock', not me...and now you're going to settle for ???......cool, go fer it....maybe cross them into your Albino Dantums and answer the question once and for all.....what's in them.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

ghonk

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 19, 2015, 05:19:23 PM
Pairs that stupid aren't worth the effort unless you are doing it for your own satisfaction of having been able to do it.

'Most nobody agrees with me, and one day I may change my mind, but I think that any fish that is too stupid to raise it's own kids is not worth bothering with.

I would have to pull them at free swimming anyway,or they will all starve for sure being albinos.
But it would be nice if they would raise them up to that point,or at least lay them on the slate more then once every forth time so i can pull them.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 19, 2015, 07:02:26 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 19, 2015, 05:19:23 PM

I would have to pull them at free swimming anyway,or they will all starve for sure being albinos.
But it would be nice if they would raise them up to that point,or at least lay them on the slate more then once every forth time so i can pull them.

I think Dave Ramirez has parent raising albinos....go figure..... ;D
Jon

ghonk

Quote from: Mugwump on May 19, 2015, 07:01:46 PM
I didn't buy them...and expected nothing....no interest in them after I saw them really....hey, if you like them, great...go for it...wasn't my thing..

Sure they're from the guy, who got them from a guy, and sent them to David, who got some to Carol...Rio Nanay appearing?...agreed....after that ??....nothings proven as to what's in them....David may still have the std fin stock from Carol....that she has multi-hets from.....??....hey bro, you're the one that wanted 'pure' stock', not me...and now you're going to settle for ???......cool, go fer it....maybe cross them into your Albino Dantums and answer the question once and for all.....what's in them.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't think you know what i'm trying to do,i want to add the PB gene to the Dantums,without adding any hidden genes.I also want to increase the % of dantum blood in the crosses.

I can't find anyone that has PB fish that knows the  genetics of their fish . If i'm going to buy THOSE fish i might as well get them from carol,which would save me a generation of crosses since her fish are already 50% dantum blood.

My Dantums X Carol's 50% Dantum blood fish ,offspring would be 75% Dantum blood.
My Dantums X Non Dantum blood fish,offspring would be 50% Dantum blood.
Saving me a generation of crosses to get that 75% if i use Carol's.

You say  Carol's fish from the cross are Multi-Hets,i don't know if they are or not,she didn't know.
The original  Albino Dantum was crossed was to a Pinoy Paraiba,which may or may not have carried any hidden genes.
But since NO one else can confirm if their fish carries those hidden genes,why use those.

Carol only has veils from the original cross,i want standard fin fish,she also crossed other fish into that line,so their offspring are no longer 50% Dantum blood.And also increased the chances of   adding hidden genes.
That's why she ask David,he might still have some standard fin fish from the original cross.

I know exactly what i want to do,and know how to do it.

GOAL
Blue Silvers and Albino Blue Silvers,75% or more Dantum blood.No hidden genes.

GOAL 2.0
D/+ Pinoys and D/+ Albino Pinoys,75% or more Dantum blood.No hidden genes.

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 19, 2015, 08:08:26 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on May 19, 2015, 07:01:46 PM

I don't think you know what i'm trying to do,i want to add the PB gene to the Dantums,without adding any hidden genes.I also want to increase the % of dantum blood in the crosses.

I can't find anyone that has PB fish that knows the  genetics of their fish . If i'm going to buy THOSE fish i might as well get them from carol,which would save me a generation of crosses since her fish are already 50% dantum blood.

My Dantums X Carol's 50% Dantum blood fish ,offspring would be 75% Dantum blood.
My Dantums X Non Dantum blood fish,offspring would be 50% Dantum blood.
Saving me a generation of crosses to get that 75% if i use Carol's.

You say  Carol's fish from the cross are Multi-Hets,i don't know if they are or not,she didn't know.
The original  Albino Dantum was crossed was to a Pinoy Paraiba,which may or may not have carried any hidden genes.
But since NO one else can confirm if their fish carries those hidden genes,why use those.

Carol only has veils from the original cross,i want standard fin fish,she also crossed other fish into that line,so their offspring are no longer 50% Dantum blood.And also increased the chances of anding hidden genes.
That's why she ask David,he might still have some standard fin fish from the original cross.

I know exactly what i want to do,and know how to do it.

GOAL
Blue Silvers and Albino Blue Silvers,75% or more Dantum blood.No hidden genes.

GOAL 2.0
D/+ Pinoys and D/+ Albino Pinoys,75% or more Dantum blood.No hidden genes.

As long as you do that's all that matters..... ;D.....good luck then....keep us posted on the project...
Jon

ghonk

I'm not going to cross anything to them until i confirm that fish doesn't carry gold  or pearl.
Do you have any adult plat pearls that you want to sell,want to use it for the test crosses.   

greydragon

what would h/b look like with no other genes at play?Liz the first group you sent are a mix of zebra and silver pearlscale h/b ,the second group are all zebra h/b no pearlscale

greydragon

question how would you find out if your gold angels are just gold?with no other genes

LizStreithorst

Quote from: greydragon on May 19, 2015, 08:38:47 PM
what would h/b look like with no other genes at play?Liz the first group you sent are a mix of zebra and silver pearlscale h/b ,the second group are all zebra h/b no pearlscale

LizStreithorst

Quote from: greydragon on May 19, 2015, 08:38:47 PM

I forgot about the PS gene.  If you want pure you will need to select the Silver HB's and try to not use a veil and pray that the PS doesn't show up in later generations.  If you have two silver Hb's that are male and female in the bunch you have it mostly licked.  The ps gene will be lurking.  You shroud be able to breed back to standard fins.

These are the exact fish that I started out with from George Garcia.  All standard fin HB,s,  All peas in a pod.  To be honest they were rather dull.  That's why I introduced the Zebra veils from Angels Plus, and when I found a non-turned one that was a PS, bred it back into the line.

I've been working with these guys for years.  They need new blood. I bought a nice pair of blue silvers on Aquabid for a song whose fry I would like to cross my existing stuff with.  I'm making my mutts more mutty ;)

ghonk

Quote from: greydragon on May 19, 2015, 08:40:12 PM
question how would you find out if your gold angels are just gold?with no other genes

LOTS of crosses.They would have to checked for several genes.
Albino,Pearl,Stripless,Streaked,Smokey,Half Black,i'm i forgetting any. :) 

Mugwump

Quote from: ghonk on May 19, 2015, 09:15:57 PM
Quote from: greydragon on May 19, 2015, 08:40:12 PM

LOTS of crosses.They would have to checked for several genes.
Albino,Pearl,Stripless,Streaked,Smokey,Half Black,i'm i forgetting any. :)

Cross it with another proven gold first.....and/or...then back cross a couple fry to the parents would be a good start........
Jon