• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 05:36:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 315
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 311
Total: 312

A question for the smart people

Started by LizStreithorst, May 17, 2015, 10:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Can anybody 'splain me this and tell me the solution?  I've been trying to download Malwarebytes.  Everything goes normally.  Then a window pops up that says that my computer won't let me do it because it's potentially dangerous.  I click "run anyway" and another window comes up telling me that the file is corrupted and to do it again.  I've done it again and again and again always with the same result.

New faithful came with another anti virus software but it expired after a month.  I think it may have been Avast.  The computer tells me from time to time that it has expired and wants me to buy it.  I see no reason to buy it when I should be able to get the same protection for free.
Always move forward. Never look back.

Mugwump

I have a trial McAfee that I hate....it works, but doesn't like anything....I just clicked 'ok' despite the pop up....and loaded the free version of Malwarebytes...

Here's the other one that I like too....Spybot Search and Destroy....

https://www.safer-networking.org/

I've used CCCleaner too with good results...........what one doesn't get, the others do...........Jan's running Norton.....cheap and effective but notification pops are a pain in the a$$

Let's get Dennis's take on this too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Marc (NJ)

Liz, just download the "free" version of Avast: http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus-2015/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=main;pop  I've been using it for a while now on several laptops and it works fine.

LizStreithorst

I checked my programs and my free trial that came with new faithful was McAfee.  I liked it fine, New Faithful seemed to run faster back when it was working.  I just don't want to buy it.

Marc, I've heard good things about Avast, too.  I'm trying to install the Malware again. When I fail I'll try Avast and see if I have better luck.

LizStreithorst

Grrrrrr >:(  With Avast it says, "The installer cannot open the SFX file" blah blah blah  "code 0x3ee"

BallAquatics

I have all my Windows clients on AVG.   http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

If it won't install either, you may already have a virus.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

Well, shit.  "extraction failed.  File is corrupt"

BallAquatics

Liz, go to your downloads folder and delete the corrupt downloads & then restart your system.  Download the free version of AVG again and see if it will install.

Dennis

BallAquatics

Liz, does your new system have Windows 8?  If so, it has its own anti-virus built right in.....

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/windows8.aspx

Dennis

LizStreithorst

It came with windows 8.  I think it may have updated itself to Windows 8.1.  I'm not sure.  If that's the case why did it come with a free trial of McAfee and why does it refuse to install Malwarebytes, Avast, and AVG?

I can't access the link you sent.  It says. "failure to connect to web server"

BallAquatics

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 17, 2015, 02:14:56 PM
If that's the case why did it come with a free trial of McAfee.....
No doubt McAfee is a "Microsoft Partner".  If they can sell you something you don't need they think they have done a good thing.  This country runs on greed, not the betterment of humanity.

If the link doesn't work, just Google "microsoft windows 8 antivirus".....

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 17, 2015, 02:14:56 PM
It came with windows 8.  I think it may have updated itself to Windows 8.1.  I'm not sure.  If that's the case why did it come with a free trial of McAfee and why does it refuse to install Malwarebytes, Avast, and AVG?

I can't access the link you sent.  It says. "failure to connect to web server"

Right click the lower left 'start; button....choose 'file explorer'.....click 'my PC.....open the download folder and delete everything......then do a 'restart'.....
when booted back up...try.... http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

Mug, I did as you said.  I dumped everything except Google Chrome and my Spider solitaire that I first down loaded right after I got New Faithful.   I rebooted and tried to install the AVG and it still says "file corrupt".   I sure wish that I were smarter.  Do I really need to delete Chrome and Spider slotaire to make this work?

Dennis, I will google it and do as it says. 

I swear to God, I've always been good at DIY, but I sure do suck when it comes computers.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on May 17, 2015, 02:59:27 PM
Mug, I did as you said.  I dumped everything except Google Chrome and my Spider solitaire that I first down loaded right after I got New Faithful.   I rebooted and tried to install the AVG and it still says "file corrupt".   I sure wish that I were smarter.  Do I really need to delete Chrome and Spider slotaire to make this work?

Dennis, I will google it and do as it says. 

I swear to God, I've always been good at DIY, but I sure do suck when it comes computers.

Weird.....no Chrome and Spider aren't it.....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Dennis, it refuses to start the download no matter how may time I ask it to.  How could I have picked up a bad virus when all I do is search for recipes and visit fish and dog grooming forums.  I'd put a gun to my head if I had one.  Since I won't own one I will do a WC. 

This too shall pass.