• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 03:00:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 329
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 330
Total: 330

Center brace failed on 100

Started by LizStreithorst, April 14, 2015, 07:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Heard a breaker trip and went to the fish room to find a fluorescent light had fallen down into the 100 gallon along with the center brace.  the tank still held about 25 gallons of water and only one of the baby fish died.  Moved the babies to a 60 wide.  I'm thinking that I should be able to repair this tank in place.  I sure hope so.  Otherwise I'll need a big strong guy to help me.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

What I would do is a glass center brace like Oceanic used on their tanks.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 14, 2015, 07:54:31 AM
What I would do is a glass center brace like Oceanic used on their tanks.

Yep, any hardware store can cut you a piece to fit in there.....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

It was a glass brace.  I'll be resiliconing the side that came apart when it turned loose (thank God it was a side in the front of the tank) and resiliconing the glass brace back in place.  I'm pretty sure I can get it done without taking the tank off the rack.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 14, 2015, 08:11:20 AM
It was a glass brace.  I'll be resiliconing the side that came apart when it turned loose (thank God it was a side in the front of the tank) and resiliconing the glass brace back in place.  I'm pretty sure I can get it done without taking the tank off the rack.

Yep....that center brace is really in there because they built them for dual lamp systems, I believe..?...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

LizStreithorst

The more I look at this tank the more I believe that I can do the job with the tank in place.  I can remove the side panel, clean everything, and put it back because it's in a corner with a couple square feet of space I can climb into to get the job done.  If I'm wrong, taking the tank out will be a bitch.  I'll have to drain the 100 next to it and the one next to that so I'll have clearance to take it out and try to find a strong helper.  I wouldn't mind hiring someone, but from past experience "handy men" do more damage that good.  Today I drained the remaining water then put in towels to absorb the water left. It will take one or two more batches of towels and then evaporation before I can get to work on it.

GraphicGr8s

A picture to understand what's what would help a lot.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

LizStreithorst

I'm not sure what you need.  Here's a pic of the empty tank, the little space I can get into which is about 18x24"the seam that broke with is the side toward the front of the tank, and the big glass middle piece that fell into the tank.  I'm quite sure that I can do this job without removing the tank from the stand.  I'll just have a sore back for a day.  If you want a pic of why it will be difficult to take the tank off the rack I'll take one.  Even with that empty space I will not have enough clearance to just take it down.  I have two two 100's with fish that will have to be moved further to the other side.

LizStreithorst

the other two