• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 09:40:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,320
  • Total Topics: 18,532
  • Online today: 361
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 329
Total: 329

Filtration for discus tanks

Started by PaulineMi, January 09, 2013, 07:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulineMi

I use Eheim cannisters on my 90 gallon tank and Emperor and Penguin HOBs on my other tanks. Due to an old degenerating spine I prefer the HOB power filters as the cannisters are heavy and require lifting and carrying. There are two HOBs on each 55 and the 75.

My question is will the HOBs be sufficient and effective filtration for a 55 gallon discus tank? I keep the filters clean (floss only,preserving the bio) and do a few big water changes per week. Am prepared to do daily WCs during the discus grow out period so I'm thinking my current equipment will work.  I'd just like to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Mugwump

Sounds good, Pauline....I use some hob's too, but I use a sponge(s) in those tanks also...I have 55's with just sponges running and it's hard to tell the difference in the water. hob's help with debris, but if your load is light, that's usually not an issue, as long as good water changes are done regularly. ..just my take.......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Thanks Jon.

What I'm noticing in all of the discus stuff I'm reading is that a LOT of emphasis is placed on having plenty of biological filtration. Its the primary consideration for maintaining pristine water conditions. It makes total sense.

Being used to providing clean water, syphoning gravel, wiping down glass I felt pretty confident in my fish keeping ability. I'm learning, I think, that discus keeping is going to take me to a whole nother level. (Is "nother" a word  :o?)

It is so cool to be finding new things to learn about and put into practice.
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

BallAquatics

Here is a link to a great article on aquarium filtration written by my friend Stephan.

Stephan comes from Europe and the German breeders, some of the finest in the world, have been using this type of filtration for many years now.  I started switching my tanks over several years ago and have been very, very pleased with the results.  Just my 2 cents for what it's worth... lol

Dennis

PaulineMi

Thanks Dennis.  On initial glance it looks like the Poret filtration system.  I think that's the name of it.  Anyway, I'll print the article out and read it over with a cup of coffee. 

The extra bonus in considering using that blue foam "wall" filter is that it's the right color for the upcoming discus tank. ;)

Edit:  Just noticed it is the Poret foam system. 

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on January 09, 2013, 10:08:09 AM
Here is a link to a great article on aquarium filtration written by my friend Stephan.

Stephan comes from Europe and the German breeders, some of the finest in the world, have been using this type of filtration for many years now.  I started switching my tanks over several years ago and have been very, very pleased with the results.  Just my 2 cents for what it's worth... lol

Dennis

I've seen those displayed/hawked at various shows and meets. They definately look interesting.
Thanks for the link...
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

BallAquatics

Quote from: Mugwump on January 09, 2013, 10:59:36 AM
Thanks for the link...

You're welcome!  I remember Stephan saying the discus people were some of his biggest customers...  as such I thought it would be very appropriate here.

Dennis

BillT

QuoteI remember Stephan saying the discus people were some of his biggest customers...  as such I thought it would be very appropriate here.

This same system is also used at The Cichlid Exchange (Portland, Oregon), a fish retailer that handles many different kinds of fish (including Danios!), in combination with an auto water exchange system. They are very happy with it.

BallAquatics

I often think the biggest problem with this system is it's pure simplicity.  To me it seems quite a large percentage of hobbyists are looking for hi-tech solutions.  When you see one of these in action, you pause and think...  could the key to super hi quality water really be this simple?  I've never met anyone who switched to these filters that said they took them out and went back to their old way of filtration.....

Dennis

PaulineMi

I watched a DIY you tube video to see how the system is set up and runs. I'm pretty sure I understand it but wonder if there are instructions somewhere specific to Stephan 's product?

BallAquatics

Quote from: PaulineMi on January 09, 2013, 02:31:34 PM
.....but wonder if there are instructions somewhere specific to Stephan 's product?

He has some info on his site, (http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam%20Pricelist.html), but it's pretty straight forward.  I've got over 50% of my tanks converted over and could probably answer any concerns.  If not, we can always get in touch with Stephan himself.

Dennis

PaulineMi

Thanks Dennis. I've got it figured out now.

ilroost

this may seem like a stupid question, but what holds the foam in place?

Mugwump

Quote from: ilroost on January 10, 2013, 06:43:40 PM
this may seem like a stupid question, but what holds the foam in place?

It appears that proper cutting provides tension by the foam itself, and the corner type have clips along the top to help hold the 'curve'...

http://casb.okstate.edu/casb/fishchum/images/stories/pictures/hmffigure-1.pdf
Jon

BallAquatics

Quote from: ilroost on January 10, 2013, 06:43:40 PM
...what holds the foam in place?

Like Jon said, with the standard HMF, the foam is cut just slightly over sized and it's a tension fit that holds it in place.  There are a variety of methods used for the corner filters.  I used modified 'J' channel in my tanks.

I find it much easier to work with than glass like many other people use.  It bonds very well to silicone, is readily available at most building supply stores, and is inexpensive.

I've installed versions of the corner filters in 5.5, 10, 20 longs and 40 breeders.  I have regular HMF in 20 longs, 55's and 75's.

In addition to being fantastic filters, they are great for doing water changes in fry and grow-out tanks.  Just drop the syphon hose behind the foam and no worries about sucking up fry or small fish.

Dennis