• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 11:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 256
Total: 257

Filled the 150 gallon...

Started by Mugwump, April 13, 2015, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizStreithorst

Dang, mine will die.  Raising them is more difficult than I thought.  I will run an airline to them, but feeding..... ::)  I thought that I could just feed Fleismans yeast.  NOT!  Thank goodness I only asked for one culture.  I'll feed them up and the rest will die of poor husbandry,
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

They are really not that bad.  If you have green water you will be in good shape.  Keep in mind that Doug was working with intensive cultures.

What you might want to do, is culture them in a 5 or 10 gallon container and feed them with yeast dissolved in your green water.  If you just dump them into your container with green water they will likely bloom and you will have thousands for a very short time before they exhaust the green water and  crash.....

Dennis

LizStreithorst

I will do my best.  I have a coupe of 10 gallon's that I can use.  Please don't me angry with me when they die.
Always move forward. Never look back.

BallAquatics

Nothing to get angry about Liz.  I'll bet you do fine.  I use a cycle where I feed them for 2 days and on the third day I harvest some and do a water change at the same time.  Feed after the water change and for the next 2 days and then harvest and water change again.

It takes just a bit of experience to get the right amount of food to feed, but with practice, you can tell by looking at the water clarity if you are feeding too much / too little.

Dennis

Mugwump

It doesn't appear to be green water in the 150...actually it's pretty clear in a glass....but the bottom and sides have a nice coat of algae starting to grow...which is ok, I'm going to toss a whole BN spawn in there to grow out.. ;D

I just put a dble hob filter on there to clear out some debris....tank is about 70 deg's, so by this weekend I should be able to start populating it...plants will be here tomorrow  ;D...Water lettuce, and hyacinth, from Mark  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

lots of rain last night and earlier today....water's up to the brim...LOL.....plants were close to flowing over the top too....
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson