• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 08:55:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,313
  • Total Topics: 18,530
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 248
Total: 248

Filled the 150 gallon...

Started by Mugwump, April 13, 2015, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

I filled it up, added 1/2 tsp of Safe mixed in water, tossed in some oak leaves, squeezed out (2) dble hob filters worth of floss bio, set up the pump with two sponges, and a bubble bar.....not to let it run for a few days..... ;D  ...and NO LEAKS... 8)   the tad bit of water, seen near the base, is from the floss squeezing bucket that I was using...

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

couple more shots....

Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

GraphicGr8s

There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 13, 2015, 12:49:31 PM
So this is your patio tank?

Eventually, likely this fall, it'll make it's way to the fish room, but I needed to check for leaks, and reseal a bit first......so for now, it's run out there...I'll check temps when it warms up and use guppies , as a 'Judah fish', to see when I can toss some angel fry and BN's in there to grow out....it's an experiment in the making at the moment... ;D....might even put a flood light, clipped to one of the ends for night viewing...??...LOL..or 'Malibu' solar lights??   ;D
Jon

GraphicGr8s

I had a 55 metaframe I tested like that for a few months on the end of the fish house. When it got to be a PITA I emptied it and put it in the kitchen. She still sits there as a dirted planted tank.

Did I mention I love Metaframes?
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: Mugwump on April 13, 2015, 01:17:58 PM

Eventually, likely this fall, it'll make it's way to the fish room, but I needed to check for leaks, and reseal a bit first......so for now, it's run out there...I'll check temps when it warms up and use guppies , as a 'Judah fish', to see when I can toss some angel fry and BN's in there to grow out....it's an experiment in the making at the moment... ;D....might even put a flood light, clipped to one of the ends for night viewing...??...LOL..or 'Malibu' solar lights??   ;D

I always thought that it would be cool to raise fish outside during the summer months.  I know a Discus person way back who tried raising fry in a swimming pool.  She didn't have good results.  It should work in a big tank.  I would suggest getting temperature controllers for the heaters you use since the ambient temp will fluctuate greatly from night to day.  The flood light is an excellent idea.  You and Jan could sit on the patio at night holding hands and watch the fish.
Always move forward. Never look back.

GraphicGr8s

Liz when I first moved down here I had all my fish in coolers to travel. (OK I won't do that again. They go in bags if I ever move more than a few miles.) When I got here I put them all in a kid's wading pool for quite a while with no real trouble or losses. I did put it under a big oak though.

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 13, 2015, 01:48:37 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 13, 2015, 01:17:58 PM

I always thought that it would be cool to raise fish outside during the summer months.  I know a Discus person way back who tried raising fry in a swimming pool.  She didn't have good results.  It should work in a big tank.  I would suggest getting temperature controllers for the heaters you use since the ambient temp will fluctuate greatly from night to day.  The flood light is an excellent idea.  You and Jan could sit on the patio at night holding hands and watch the fish.

Yep.... ;D....I may not even run a heater??....the water will stay pretty warm in that volume of water, plus being all glass, I'm concerned more about keeping it cool enough for fish....if I do, it'll be to extend the time to earlier spring/summer, to later fall months, that I can use it this year...

I'll have to adjust as I go along tho....
Jon

LizStreithorst

Mugwump

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 13, 2015, 02:02:25 PM
Will it be in the sun?

Yes, but I'm thinking of a make shift canopy.....for sure
Jon

LizStreithorst

JMHO...Keep the tank shaded during the day and use heaters with controllers.  Controllers maintain a stable temperature which normal heaters do not.  Rick, the president of NADA, uses controllers with all the heaters in his fish room.  If I were made of money I would do the same.  Unfortunately, a controller cost as much as a heater ::)  I'd use them if I were to raise fry in a  outside tank. though.  Otherwise there would be too much temperature fluctuation for the fish to grow well.

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 13, 2015, 02:32:34 PM
Otherwise there would be too much temperature fluctuation for the fish to grow well.

You'd be surprised how well the fish do with temp changes. During spells of cold here the farms run the wells to keep temps up. And there is fluctuations there for sure. My fish house is unheated and they did quite well over the "winter" here.

LizStreithorst

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on April 13, 2015, 02:44:41 PM
Quote from: LizStreithorst on April 13, 2015, 02:32:34 PM
Otherwise there would be too much temperature fluctuation for the fish to grow well.

You'd be surprised how well the fish do with temp changes. During spells of cold here the farms run the wells to keep temps up. And there is fluctuations there for sure. My fish house is unheated and they did quite well over the "winter" here.

My experience comes from Discus and Discus have more rules to follow it they are to grow well.  I know that Angels are more tolerant of less thanperfect conditions.  Still...I know what I'd do if I were to have an outside tank.

BallAquatics

That's so cool Jon.  Best of luck with your new summer project!!!   8) 8) 8)

Dennis

Mugwump

Quote from: BallAquatics on April 13, 2015, 05:08:20 PM
That's so cool Jon.  Best of luck with your new summer project!!!   8) 8) 8)

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, etal....It'll be a fun, and interesting, little diversion from std fish room doing's.. ;D

and no one asked about the rock..LOL
Jon