• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 12:47:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,326
  • Total Topics: 18,533
  • Online today: 168
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 114
Total: 114

A Couple of Ed's Koi Cleaning

Started by wsantia1, April 04, 2015, 08:31:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wsantia1

I've got a couple of Ed's Koi cleaning and driving the others away from slate.  Looks like the female is bigger than the male. At least the bigger one has a fatter tube. ??? 

The only reason I noticed was because one of the others had a somewhat clamped caudal fin and upon closer inspection he was immediately attacked by one of the cleaners. As I am typing this they have driven all the others to the other side of the tank. A pair indeed. ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Too Many Fish. Not Enough Tanks.

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2015, 08:31:18 AM
I've got a couple of Ed's Koi cleaning and driving the others away from slate.  Looks like the female is bigger than the male. At least the bigger one has a fatter tube. ??? 

The only reason I noticed was because one of the others had a somewhat clamped caudal fin and upon closer inspection he was immediately attacked by one of the cleaners. As I am typing this they have driven all the others to the other side of the tank. A pair indeed. ;D ;D ;D

That koi line had a tendency to produce strong females. These females can be paired with almost any other Koi male, and produce superior color and coverage. The females hold the strongest, bred for, genes....just like their g'mother here.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  use them wisely and you'll strike gold.........capise?.. ;D
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Of course they would spend all morning cleaning the slate and then spawn on the intake tube.  ??? :o ::)
Willie

wsantia1

A sneak picture of the Koi.
Willie

Mugwump

Good grief, unplug the filter...toss in another sponge.....LOLOLOLOLOL....they come from a long line of raisers.....I had two pair raise first time......
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 04, 2015, 04:04:06 PM
Good grief, unplug the filter...toss in another sponge.....LOLOLOLOLOL....they come from a long line of raisers.....I had two pair raise first time......

Unfortunately this is my display tank in the living room. I am trying to think of a way to move them and the eggs into a 20 down in the basement. The 20 has some snots in it so I have to move them first. At least I know which ones are the pair and once I move them I can fatten them up for the round. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2015, 04:47:38 PM
Quote from: Mugwump on April 04, 2015, 04:04:06 PM

Unfortunately this is my display tank in the living room. I am trying to think of a way to move them and the eggs into a 20 down in the basement. The 20 has some snots in it so I have to move them first. At least I know which ones are the pair and once I move them I can fatten them up for the round. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rats...oh well, like you said..there's next time.... ;D
Jon

wsantia1

Leaving the blue light on tonight to see if they how they make out.  I suspect the pair will be overwhelmed by the rest of the tank occupants. ::)
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2015, 07:31:06 PM
Leaving the blue light on tonight to see if they how they make out.  I suspect the pair will be overwhelmed by the rest of the tank occupants. ::)

Ya never know with a determined pair....the fry may not be the casualties...??..any BN in there??....they're be the likely culprits...yup...
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 04, 2015, 07:37:13 PM

Ya never know with a determined pair....the fry may not be the casualties...??..any BN in there??....they're be the likely culprits...yup...

Oh yes.  I have BNs in all of my tanks that are set up. lol
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2015, 07:40:09 PM

:o :o uh oh  :o :o
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 04, 2015, 07:42:10 PM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 04, 2015, 07:40:09 PM

:o :o uh oh  :o :o

I won't have any in my designated breeding tanks tho. 8)
Willie

wsantia1

Eggs still in place with only 2 whities. ;D Sadly I decided that I will pull the pair while I can still identify them and set them up in there own tank. ???

The eggs will then become breakfast for the rest of the Angels and BNs in the tank. :o It's just a lot easier for me to go this route. First I have to move the BNs out of the 20 that I am going to relocate this young pair to. ::)
Willie

Mugwump

Quote from: wsantia1 on April 05, 2015, 06:54:02 AM
Eggs still in place with only 2 whities. ;D Sadly I decided that I will pull the pair while I can still identify them and set them up in there own tank. ???

The eggs will then become breakfast for the rest of the Angels and BNs in the tank. :o It's just a lot easier for me to go this route. First I have to move the BNs out of the 20 that I am going to relocate this young pair to. ::)

Try sucking some of the eggs off and rearing them in a jug or something....you'll at least get a few that way....turkey baster??....rigid tube/air line ??
Jon

wsantia1

Quote from: Mugwump on April 05, 2015, 06:57:45 AM
Quote from: wsantia1 on April 05, 2015, 06:54:02 AM

Try sucking some of the eggs off and rearing them in a jug or something....you'll at least get a few that way....turkey baster??....rigid tube/air line ??

Unfortunately I am just not real set up yet for that.  Too much still going on here. I still need to set up my air for the tanks I do have up and running.  Just trying to do it right the first time. I a couple of weeks I will be more ready. ;D
Willie