• Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World.

News:

I increased the "User online time threshold" today (11/29/2023) so maybe you won't lose so many posts.   Everything is up-to-date and running smoothly. Shoot me a message if you have any comments - Dennis

Main Menu
Welcome to Mugwump's Fish World. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 01:02:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stats
  • Total Posts: 127,315
  • Total Topics: 18,531
  • Online today: 388
  • Online ever: 787
  • (January 22, 2020, 01:11:59 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 249
Total: 249

I like mellon

Started by Mugwump, March 30, 2015, 08:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mugwump

...I cut up a cantaloupe this morning.....it was delicious....I really like muskmelon too....MMmmmm
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mugwump

OH.....and loaded with Vit's A, C, and potassium too..... 8)
Jon

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ?Wow! What a Ride!? ~ Hunter S. Thompson

PaulineMi

Cantaloupe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.....yum
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on March 30, 2015, 08:27:37 AM
...I cut up a cantaloupe this morning.....it was delicious....I really like muskmelon too....MMmmmm

You do know it's the same thing don't you?
A true cantaloupe is a rarity in the US.
There is no such thing as MTS.
West coast of the east coast of North America
Personal Image Management Professional
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.
There are only two types of people. Italians and those that wish they were

Mugwump

Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 30, 2015, 12:40:42 PM

Same family, but not the same....muskmellon has deep ridges around it and is way more pungent than cantaloupe.....
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on March 30, 2015, 01:02:59 PM
Quote from: GraphicGr8s on March 30, 2015, 12:40:42 PM

Same family, but not the same....muskmellon has deep ridges around it and is way more pungent than cantaloupe.....

A true cantaloupe is rare in the US. What is sold as a cantaloupe is a type of muskmelon.

Description

The fruit widely known as "cantaloupe" throughout the U.S. is actually muskmelon. When we purchase "cantaloupe" in a U.S. grocery store, what we're used to seeing is an outer surface that consists of "netting"?an orderly mosaic pattern - that sits atop and covers the outermost skin (rind). We may or may not also see "ribbing" on the cantaloupe ("ribbing" in the sense of lines running from one end of the cantaloupe to the other, like the seams on a basketball). But if we do see ribbing, it is not usually very heavy or very deep., Melons with a very developed and orderly netting and only mild-to-moderate ribbing are not true cantaloupes but rather muskmelons (Cucumis melo var reticulatus).

Cantaloupes (Cucumis melo var cantalupensis) typically lack an extensive, orderly netting and they have ribs (also called "sutures") that are much heavier and more deeply grooved. In addition, true cantaloupes are grown almost exclusively in other parts of the world (and especially in the Mediterranean region). In fact, the name "cantaloupe" actually comes from the name of a town in Italy near Rome called Cantaloupo in Sabina, where seeds were brought from Armenia and planted in the Papal gardens during the 1400-1500's.) Despite this misnaming of "cantaloupes" in the U.S. marketplace however, from hereon we're going to stick with this common U.S. practice and refer to muskmelons as cantaloupes.
There are very few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives.

Mugwump

LOL....we're in the midwest......we grow our own.......and there is a difference....the one we had today.....maybe what you're saying could/can be true...otherwise....nada, nope.... ;D     
Jon

GraphicGr8s

Quote from: Mugwump on March 30, 2015, 07:18:36 PM
LOL....we're in the midwest......we grow our own.......and there is a difference....the one we had today.....maybe what you're saying could/can be true...otherwise....nada, nope.... ;D   

Well we in the states have never had a cantaloupe. But I will say this the muskmelon we call cantaloupe is good eats.

Mugwump

interesting...

"Muskmelon (Cucumis melo 'reticulatus') is commonly known in the trade as a cantaloupe. However, no cantaloupes are actually grown commercially in the United States, only muskmelons. Cantaloupes (Cucumis melo 'cantaloupensis') are a rough warty fruit while muskmelon have the characteristic netting on the fruit rind."

I tend to agree with you somewhat...however, you'll note above, my bold, that it says commercially grown......I do know the difference in the rind textures too...so today, ok, it was commercially grown....but come summer time here.....I'm eating the real muskmellon..... ;D...yes, farmers know the difference...it's their business to know... ;D...not all farmers choose to do grow them, but those that do...get our money.... ;D

Jon

Mugwump

Muskmelon vs Cantaloupe..we aren't the only ones to discuss the topic.....LOL..and semantics are crucified.....

Cantaloupe or muskmelon? - University of Illinois Extension
web.extension.illinois.edu/dmp/palette/070729.html
Jul 29, 2007 - The other variety, European cantaloupe, Cucumis melo cantalupensis, has ribbed light green skin and looks nothing like what we commonly call cantaloupe. While both of these cantaloupe varieties are muskmelons, not all muskmelons are cantaloupes. The name muskmelon comes from the sweet fragrance of the ripe fruit.

Jon

greydragon

i love the mellon grown in or very near to Muscatine Iowa,but i have not had any for many years

Ron Sower

Happy Aquariuming,
Ron

Mugwump

LOL...that pic sure blew up.... ;D
Jon

PaulineMi

We have a festival celebrating the Howell Melon every year. They are very, very good.

http://mfea.org/event/howell-melon-festival-2014/
When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because those weirdos are your tribe.  (Sweatpants & Coffee)

Your moron cup is full. Empty it.  (Author unknown)

Ron Sower

At least we'll know ''Howell'' get there...there's a map!
(sorry guys and gals!...it's been too long since I punned on here....I just had to do it! Sorrrrry! :-[ )
Happy Aquariuming,
Ron